We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sound problems

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

First thing PC specs,

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

CPU- Intel i5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz Mobo- Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4 Memory- Crucail 2x2GB Creative SB XFI-extreme music Graphics card - HD 5850

I installed this system about 16 months ago and every thing worked fine for about 6 months then I lost all sound on the system, only way to get it back was to reinstall windows.

This worked for about another 4 months then I lost all sound, again only way to get it back was a fresh install.

Now in the past 3 months I have installed windows twice, the last time a week ago when not only the sound went again but also I lost the DVD rewiter.

I switched the PC on yesterday morning and no sound, Saturday it was working fine, no new files or programes installed.

I have tried the onboard sound but this has never worked properly from day one reason for me using the sound card.

Everthing shows up in device manager with no ? marks at all.

I have tried system restore to Fridays date with no luck, reinstalled drivers for the sound card with no luck, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers for onboard sound same thing no sound.

I have borrowed my daughters speakers and amp and set them up on this PC with no success, still no sound.

Has any one got an idea or sugestion as to what is wrong, brcause I am at a complete loss as to the problem.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi carver

I think I would be looking at a faulty sound card. Any chance you could do a sound card swap with a friend and see what happens?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I've read a couple of threads from here and one of them suggests that Win 7 is not compatible with your card, another that suggests there is a memory limit problem but several suggest some different drivers that you may not have tried. Have a read of the links and see if any of them help.

Like this post  
carver

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies and managed to sort out the problem, seems the Mother board has an intermittent fault that is getting worse.

The sound card is compatible with Windows 7 and after trying another slot sound came back, just need to replace mobo now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks