We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Back up Macbook

gav223

Likes # 0

Hi.

I would like to backup my Macbook and have come across an issue.

I have a 1000GB external hard drive with 450GB used.

After opening Time Machine it states the following: reformat required (incompatible filesystem).

I definitely do not want to reformat it and lose all the things I have on there.

What is the best solution for me.

Thanks.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

It sounds as if you have the drive formatted as FAT and Time Machine must be backed up to a drive formatted as HFS+

You have two options.

Buy a new drive for the back up.

or

Use third party software to re partition the existing drive - like gparted Click Here. You must be very careful using such tools that you do not do something wrong with the result you loose your data.

Data should always be on at least two independent storage mediums. If that is not currently the case then getting a new hard drive may be the best solution.

Like this post
gav223

Likes # 0

Hi bremner.

I do have another hard drive, but it's only a 160GB. Would this be sufficient.

I could transfer what I have on that one to the 1000GB.

Thanks.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

What size is the Hard Drive in the MacBook and how much is in use?

Like this post
gav223

Likes # 0

The hard drive is 250GB and I've only used 48GB.

I have almost all Data on the 1000GB drive.

I know it may seem common sense that this will be OK, but i've never done this before and after reading a tutorial it states to use a hard drive at least 250GB. Don't know why.

Thanks.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

With Time Machine if you are a light user - which means you do not use a great deal of your drive space - then a drive the same size as your hard drive should be used. For a medium to high user then 1.5 to 2 x the hard drive size should be used.

This is because Time Machine does an incremental backup.

In your postion I would buy a 1TB drive and partition it 32GB HFS+ for Time Machine and 650GB ExFat to back up the data on your existing external drive.

Like this post
gav223

Likes # 0

I have just moved the Data from the 160GB drive to the 1000GB drive and the formatted it to Mac OS Extended (it didn't give me a HFS+ option.

After the format was completed Time Machine asked me if I wanted to use this drive to backup.

I agreed and it is now in the process of backing up.

It shows that it is only going to be using 44.21GB, so I have plenty of space.

I would say that there will never be more than about 50GB ever on the laptop as every now and again I transfer any Data to the 1000GB drive.

Is this going to be OK.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

It will be ok but you will find it fills quickly. You need to keep an eye on it and upgrade if necessary.

You still should address the lack of any backup for all your data on the external drive.

Like this post
gav223

Likes # 0

When you say it will fill quickly, how does that work.

Does it just keep adding to it. If I only ever have around 50GB on the laptop can't I just backup once a month and overwrite what is on there already instead of adding to it.

Also can you explain a bit more about "You still should address the lack of any backup for all your data on the external drive".

Should I be backing up all Data on my 1000GB drive.

Thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite