We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Correct interconnections for a Small Business system

G0lfer
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi techies

I'm after some advice on the correct interconnection for some items in a medium sized business system. This is for a college project. I've tried googling for a solution but either I'm putting in the wrong keywords or google is not my friend.

I have 3 small departments. the first has a wireless router feeding 4 PC's and a wireless printer. The second dept has a 24 port fast ethernet switch feeding 12 PC's and the third dept has another 24 port switch feeding 10 PC's.

I'm using a Cisco router for the broadband connection coming in and want to use a Dell Poweredge T310 small business server.

My question is :-

Does the router (it has 4 ethernet port) feed the 2 switches, wireless router and the server.

or

Does the router feed the server which in turn feeds the 2 switches and wireless router.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions offered.

G0lfer

Like this post
G0lfer

Likes # 0

The server is a Dell PowerEdge T310 with a Broadcom 5709 Dual Port GigaBit Ethernet NIC.

Like this post
G0lfer

Likes # 0

All the PC's are on a domain/client system. The server will run active directory.

Like this post
G0lfer

Likes # 0

It's Ok I now have the answer for this. The router must feed the server which in turn feeds all the other peripherals. This is because, in an active directory network, all the PC's and other items must pick up their IP Addresses via the server.

Like this post  
G0lfer

Likes # 0

Thanks very much for your help I24

Your suggestions make sense. It was a bit more involved than I thought. System topology was not part of my course and I was having problems googling the solution.

Cheers

G0lfer

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: Apple's new iPhone is bigger, better & faster than ever before