We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB Mass storage needs updating

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

link text looks like my USB Mass storage device needs updating.

Ran a USB update from Medion this morning but it looks like it does not cover the Mass USB Storage device.

Anyone any idea as to how I can get the proper update.

Medion MS-7713 According to SIW.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

If you can list what drivers are available on the disk I might be able to pick the correct one.Failing that you could just reinstall them all as it shouldn't cause any problems.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I have 2 discs one is for recovery disc and the other is application and support disc I presume it is the second one I use.

It is in German so will just see what it does.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Nope got fed up looking in there.Can't find anything that helps can update USB 3 but cannot find anything for mass storage device.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok so far so good.

After a lot of browsing it came down to many with the same problem and all pointing to unsigned drivers.

It seems Microsoft managed to download an unsigned driver with there updates last month which a bad affect on some computers.

So having not a clue as to how to fix it I thought that I would try in safe mode and what a pleasant surprise in safe mode with windows 7 it gives you the option of turning off signed drivers. So did that and rebooted and everything is back to normal again.

Mind you not sure what is going to happen when I reboot but at least we know what the problem was.

Thanks all for your input it is always appreciated.

Will class as resolved but will post again if the problem persists.

Like this post  
buteman

Likes # 0

Just as I thought switched on tonight and the old problem was back.Switched unsigned drivers off in safe mode and will be Ok till I have to reboot.

Anyone know how to switch off unsigned drivers in normal mode.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

USB mass storage is suerly your card reader? In computer do you see a lot of drives begining, usually, with the letter F? In 'devices and printers' do you see an icon for 'usb storage device'? If you do then right click and select troubleshoot. See if that helps. Disabling signed drivers is a symptom but not the answer. Failing all then system restore in safe mode I think. Be wary of updates afterwards.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Hi just found out which one is probably causing the problems.

link text

It also knocks out F.G.H removable discs except that they are built into the computer.

Plus some drivers will not download.

Going to have a look and see where that one is.So may not be back for a little while.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look at services and see if enabled and on auto.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

rdave13

Ok will do.

I found it here.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\USBSTOR.SYS

Now it is being used by an unknown program so not sure if that's the problem or not.

Not sure if it would be safe to delete it or not.

But will have a look in services to see what I can find.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you check the Backup recovery Partition, you should find the correct drivers for the USB card Reader

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...