We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Formatting hard drive the new way

SparkyJack
Resolved

Likes # 0

Well new to me.

In the past if I need to format and reload the hard drive -I inserted a Win98 start up floppy in the drive- engaged FDisk and away we went. Now machines are Floopyless.

I have two machine now that seemed to have picked up the Sys32 virus whereby a site offers to fix many many virus/Trojans and other critical errors if you send them the money.

When trying normal corrective processes right down to reload the Windows disk [Win XP]the machine simply refused to repair/reload with further dire messages and ultimately goes to BSD with Boot sector damaged message etc.,

So without a floppy drive- how does one get the disk clear to reload?

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

I had to use Killdisk only two weeks ago to format a hard drive that w7 would not because it had an old w7 partion on it.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat Your helpful list of 09.14 which I printed off and took with me this afternoon to one of the 'Sickies' alas did not do the job. Carrying out the procedure revealed no files that you said to delete. Plenty of files but none of the ones mentioned. I gave the machine a good going over with Malawarebytes and CCleaner/Trojan Hunter several - items were 'Flagged' up as quarantined and it appears to be OK when I left.

Here is hoping.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Talking about formatting a disc the new way then how about this. Friend formatted an SS drive and messed it up as Win 7 couldn't be installed on it (MBR MESSED UP THROUGH FORMATTING THE OLD WAY). For SS drive, Boot up using optical drive with Win 7. At welcome screen "country selection" etc press the up arrow key and F10. At the command prompt type diskpart and press enter. Type list disk and press enter. SSdrive should be seen listed with a number to it "n" Type select disk "n" ("n" being the number of the SSdrive) Type clean press enter. This will write a blank MBR to the disc. You will lose all data on the drive. Win 7 will now install.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide