We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scheduled back up in XP

PeterC2

Likes # 0

How do I set up a back up schedule in XP. I can make a one-shot backup (but how can I save the specification??) but every attempt to schedule it give me 'specific error 0x80070005: Access is denied. You do not have permission to perform the requested operation.' I am the administrator. I know not of any password. I have tried possible passwords - I acquired the machine second hand with Windows installed and no installation facility - and have tried offering passwords for the backup. Would appreciate any help.

Peter Chitty

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

If you go to the 'Help & Support' centre (Start/Help & Support) and type 'schedule backup' into the search box a full list of help options will be available including a step by step guide on how to set it up.

I have never used the feature as I believe Acronis True Image is far superior and with an external drive pretty quick. There is other backup software if you want to consider this route.

Like this post
PeterC2

Likes # 0

Hi John

Thank you for your response. BUT

Following the link to Backup at the head of the HELP page just takes me to the backup wizard I have been accessing from Accessories/system/backup. There is no advanced or job options there.

I use the wizard to specify the files I want to backup.

I can then either run the backup (which works) or I can now go to 'advanced' which gives me options to schedule the job - and that takes me to the error I described.

I am running XP Pro Sp2. In the backup up wizard I have tried giving a blank password, or specific passwords for the job. All to no avail.

What am I doing wrong??

P

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

XP backup is a waste of time, as above you should use Acronis if you want it to work when you need it. Also Backup is no good if the PC will not work i.e if the hard drive stops working where as Acronis can put it all back onto a new drive

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS Windows Backup can only be put back on to a working system

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I have no idea why you are unable to get to the Help article on your PC, but the same information is available on the MS site: follow this link link text

You don't appear to have taken note of the use of a third party backup option; is there any specific reason for this?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite