We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVDs Not Recognised

The Teacher

Likes # 0

I have just had the DVD/CD drive replaced in my Acer Aspire 7112WSMi laptop. It is supposed to be a like for like replacement, i.e DVD super multi double layer supporting DVD+R double layer, DVD+-RW.

However when I use Nero Info it tells me it supports all formats, not a problem.

The problem is that Nero Info tells me what type of DVD I have in, how much space there is etc., etc., BUT My Computer tells me that I have no bytes free space AND no bytes used space, no matter what blank DVD format I put in I can play data and film DVDs, play and record CDs without a problem, I just cannot record to blank DVDs.

I have been back on to the company that fitted the drive but is there anything I can do myself before it has to go back, or does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be?

Thanks

Like this post
RussB78

Likes # 0

Sorry the click here didn`t work, (www.ashampoo.com) and click on downloads.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Rdave well I dont know whhat programme xp uses butnit does not just copy and paste nor does any other programme show in the task manager this is what I find select an mpeg file choose copy to dvd and apart from asking which writer it just does it and is not using imgburn nor does it show any other burner running in task manager.

If you choose a Video ts folder you are given the choice of burn as dvd video or burn as Data dvd

If you choose an Iso image file of a movie it does Not ask any questions just burns and the result is a video ts folder not an Iso image therefore it is not just copying and pasting

So although I agree it may be using 3d party software for all intents and purposes XP will seem burn to dvd

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

It would be worth trying a different make of disk - I had a similar problem some years ago & discovered that SOME of the disks (in a pack of 10)didn't work/ were not recognised. Can't now remember what make (tho it was not a cheapo), but I haven't used it since and have had no problems with those that I use now

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...