We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unwanted message box

Linda1

Likes # 0

Hello,

I sent an email earlier today and logged into my email account later and have received an error message box which I cannot remove. It is telling me that I can subsribe to McAfee virus scan although I do not have any viruses and have Norton protection already.

Could anyone tell me how to remove this message box please.

Regards,

Lin.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

For the bennefit of others here could you state what email service you use and what operating system. Would help a lot. Thanks.

Like this post
Linda1

Likes # 0

Thank you for replying.

I am using orange webmail. Hope that helps.

Regards,

Lin.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Have you used McAfee at any time and not removed it properly.

Some new computers come with McAfee already installed and you have to download the McAfee removal tool to remove it completely.

I had to use it on my granddaughters laptop a fortnight ago and was quite impressed as it did remove everything and left no signs of it on the computer, After doing a search it found nothing.

Like this post
Linda1

Likes # 0

Hello,

No I have not used McAfee at any time. I have always used Norton for my protection.

I have a Windows VISTA computer and am subscribed to Orange webmail and use a Livebox.

It is more of an irritation than anything else.

But thank you for your help.

Lin.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not sure why you should get that message if you have not got any McAfee programs installed.

Maybe try typing McAfee into the search box or if using W/7 the start box just to see if it comes up with anything at all for McAfee.

Now you say you have Norton installed do you have any Anti-Malware programs installed if not maybe try Malwarebytes just to see if it finds any problems.

Norton itself will not stop all problems so always better to have a back up just in case and Malwarebytes is very good.

malwareBytes

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Sorry about the last link I am not sure how I managed to get the wrong one.

This is it.MalwareBytes

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Maybe Orange are offering you a deal on McAffee

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"and have received an error message box which I cannot remove."

Linda, is this a conventional message box that can be moved around the screen, or does it look like it's part of the Orange webpage? If it's the latter and it goes away when you close that page, then as wee eddie suggests, it could just be an Orange/McAfee marketing ploy.

Like this post
Linda1

Likes # 0

Hello everyone,

I cannot move the message around so maybe this is a marketing ploy!

It is a nuisance though.

Thanks for your help but I still have this annoying error message box.

I don't particularly want to subsribe for anything else at the moment.

Lin.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Thanks for that Linda, but I'll ask again, does the message disappear when you close the Orange webpage? Also, what's the exact wording of this message?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad