We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

spooky computer

pulteny

Likes # 0

Hi all. I am house sitting and found the computer running two days after house empty.Thought friend had left it on,shut it down.Two days later checked it again it was running? Took the internet connection out ,thought a hacker might have been there,two days later computer found running again.Looked at control panel power settings found nothing I could see wrong. Could any one tell me what tick in a box must be done. Regards pulteny

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Wouldn't fiddle with any settings. Taking the internet connection (ethernet) out is good enough. Leave the router on unless PC connected wirelessly. Bios setting by owner possibly. Just shut down as normal until owner returns.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Switch the wall socket off, it cannot run without Electric. It must be a BIOS setting that is triggering it to switch on

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

BIOS settings

Wake on LAN and or Wake on Ring enabled

as it not your machine I would leave well alone and sitch off at power socket until they come back, then you can mention it to them if you wish.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Switching off at the wall socket might drain the cmos battery depending how old the PC is. Leave well alone and let it run continuously. Without internet connection it's safe enough.

Like this post
pulteny

Likes # 0

Hi all who answered. My friend will more than likely be asking me to look into the problem anyway.So how difficult can it be to change a yes to no or on to off in the bios.I am aware that altering settings can cause trouble but a dell computer can take it.Any technical help would be appreciated. Regards pulteny.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It is a Easy job to change settings in the BIOS, you do not have a mouse to use, bottom right on BIOS tells you how to Navigate using arrow Enter Page Up and Down and Escape Key to go back a page. Save changes before exit

Like this post
pulteny

Likes # 0

Hi all who responded, I looked into the BIOS and the auto start was set to daily.Changed this to disable.

Computer spooky no more!

Regards scorrie.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015