We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Should I upgrade the graphics card?

Divided_Loyalties

Likes # 0

I've got to the point that my PC has reached the end of its useful life. I had got hung up on turn based games so it survived. While it can play Civ V thats about it for recent releases. My uneducated guess is the graphics car is the most major of several issues.

Cash is pretty tight at the minute so I am hoping that £50-150 can get another year or two out of it. Then, when I have heating and doors, I can spend a bit more on a decent machine. The spec is:

Windows XP Pro (can replace with 7 from work); AMD Sempron 3100+ MMX 3DNow 1.8GHz; 1022MB RAM; DirectX 9.0c; NVIDIA Geforce 6600; Display Memory - 256MB.

Would it be worth upgrading the graphics card or is it effectively pointless. If yes, what would be recommended and fit the same slot.

Thanks in Advance

JT

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

You need to increase the memory in the PC and yes a faster card would help. However, I would save the dosh and upgrade the whole PC to a quad core amd. Novatech has a selection of motherboard bundles or barebones which come with a case and PSU. Another point, would your present M/B take a new Graphics card configuration and would you have to more powerful PSU? Check the slot.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad