We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Program needed for XP machine to see how much memory each software programme uses on XP desktop!!!

julius44

Likes # 0

Hello and good morning....I have an old Windows Desktop machine that i'm about to sell to a family friend, i've restored the pc to factory seetings and ive re-installed just some basic software, updates etc, and the desktop has 2GB of RAM. I have a windows 7 desktop and under under control in programs u can see how much memory that EACH of the programmes uses, and I think that this is very good, in windows XP there does NOT seem to be this feature in the add/remove programmes...................so is there any software that I can install that will tell me how much memory each programme uses and how much in total is left, for instance on my new windows 7 desktop pc...which has 8GB RAM, it tells me that ive used only 1.29GB, hence I know how much I have left, many thanks

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

A machine running XP with 2Gb RAM will probably not be stretched since that is at least 4 times the recommended basic amount of RAM. If you open task manager and go to the Processes tab you can see which processes are using CPU. From the view menu choose select columns and add any memory columns you want to see the information.

Obviously, looking at the performance tab gives you a summary of how much RAM and page file usage. Not a great user interface but it`s all there!

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Cou;d this be what you want ? http://www.sharewareconnection.com/folder-size-check-directory-size.htm

Terry
link text

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites