We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Showing Powerpoint on a projector

Pineman100
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm using Windows 7 and Powerpoint 2007 on my HP laptop, which is capable of showing its screen image on an external monitor (or projector) simultaneously with its own screen. I currently use the laptop with a Samsung Syncmaster 193v external monitor.

I want to give Powerpoint presentation using a projector. I want the projector to show the Powerpoint slides while the laptop monitor shows "Presenter View" with my written notes as well as the slides.

I've read the Help notes on doing this, but frankly I'm finding them very difficult to understand. Can anyone please help me to set up my display view so that this arrangement will be quick and easy to set up when I'm giving my presentation? I shall only have a few minutes to set up with the projector, and I don't want to be faffing around in a panic!

Thanks for any help with this.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The only way I could do this in earlier versions was to set the external monitor as another desktop and run two versions of the power point presentation. The slideshow on the external monitor and notes on the LCD screen.

Powerpoint 2007 makes this easier

PowerPoint 2007 has a feature known as Presenter View that allows you to run your presentation from one monitor while your audience views it on a second monitor. You can view thumbnails of the so you know what is coming up next and also view your Speaker's notes so they can be used to assist you in your presentation, all while your audience sees only the presentation. To utilize Presenter view, you will need to turn on multiple monitor support on your computer or laptop. To deliver a presentation on two monitors by using Presenter view, follow these steps 1. Open the desired PowerPoint presentation.

1. Select the Slide Show tab.

2. Go to the Set Up group and select Set Up Slide Show.

3. Choose the options that you will need from the Set Up Show dialog box.

4. Under the Multiple monitors section, select which monitor you wish the presentation to be displayed on and check the Show Presenter View checkbox.

5. Click OK.

To begin the presentation:

1. Select the View tab.

2. Go to the Presentation Views group and select Slide Show.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm sorry but I haven't got time to properly explain this. I find it is best to use extended desktop (the external monitor/projector has a separate display). You can set up PowerPoint 2007 to do this. On tab Slideshow under Monitors you will see "Show presentation on". Select the external projector.

You can practice on your external monitor with your laptop screen and there will be no difference when you connect the projector.

Good luck.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Not sure what Fruitbat's snag was with earlier versions of PowerPoint. My wife runs PowerPoint 2003 using an external projector with no problems at all.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No snag as long as you do not want notes as well as slide show

if so then extended desktop and second presentation needed. :0)

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks very much for your responses. I'll have a go at following them through, and report back.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks very much, guys.

I tried following Fruit Bat /\0/\'s instructions, but I think my version of PP 2007 must be slightly different. Here's what happened:

1. I tried the Set Up Slide Show function, but this options box didn't have any affect on the choice of monitor, etc., except it allowed you to choose the screen resolution of the slideshow.

2. In the Monitors group, I checked the Use Presenter View checkbox. This triggered a dialogue window that said: "This feature is for use with more than one monitor, but only one monitor was detected. To see if your computer can display on multiple monitors, click the Check button. So I clicked Check. This brought up my Control Panel>Appearance & Personalisation>Display>Screen Resolution page.

My External monitor is designated as Screen 2 and my laptop screen as Screen 1. The settings are as follows:

Display: 2 - Syncmaster Resolution: 1280 x 1024 (Recommended) Orientation: Landscape Multiple displays: Show desktop only on 2

The alternative options on the Multiple Displays dropdown are:

Duplicate these displays Extend these displays Show desktop only on 1 Show desktop only on 2

I don't understand why Powerpoint thinks that only one monitor can be detected, when I'm using an external monitor on my laptop! Woolwell's suggestion unfortunately can't be carried through, because the Show Presentation On box is greyed out - presumably because the system thinks I'm only using one monitor.

Any more advice on which way to go, please?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I've been away and you probably have sorted this now but ....

I suspect that with the external monitor connected that you have nothing on your laptop screen (show desktop only on 2). If that is the case then you need to use Extend these displays. Hope that helps.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks for the follow-up, Woolwell.

No, I haven't managed to sort out the problem, I'm afraid. I've tried everything that you and others have suggested above, but Powerpoint steadfastly refuses to recognise that my video card can handle two monitors (or the laptop screen plus a projector). This is despite the fact that I regularly use my laptop with an external monitor plugged into it, so I know the video card can do it.

So I'm afraid I've given up. Instead of showing my presentation on the projector simultaneously with showing "Presenter View" (complete with written notes) on the laptop screen, I've printed out all of the presenter's notes, and will work from these. Shame - and a hell of a waste of paper and ink!

But many thanks to everyone for trying to solve my problem.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more