We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Size if SD Card in Compact Camera

Scrivers

Likes # 0

Anyone know why my Canon Ixus 880IS won't take a 4Gb HCSD card. I takes a 2Gb SD card fine. Same with my Garmin Nuvi 255W satnav. Neither wants to take the larger size card.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Depending on the camera, there is a maximum size card that it is capable of using. You will need to check the camera manual for the specification.

If the manual says the camera will take a 4GB card but the card fails to work then it may be the card that is not functioning; check it using a multi-card reader with your PC.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

HC SD High Capacity newer file system on the card to fit more on.

Older equipment was not designed for the "newer" HC cards

I have a couple of card readers that cannot see the HC cards

That's progress for you :0)

Like this post
Scrivers

Likes # 0

Thanks for your response. Do either of you know about the satnav problem. Do you think the same issue applies. Neither kit is that old, so it's disappointing if the problem is that they won't take the higher capacity card. I'll check my camera manual.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

My Acer PDA with built in GPS can only take 2Gig and I think TomTom as that limit

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks