We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

need a SIMPLE incremental backup programmeba

Paul2008

Likes # 0

Hi folks Am looking for a SIMPLE backup programme that ONLY backs up the changed files since the last backup AND is very easy to set up and use. Have tried, Acronis, Paragon, Backup Master and they are very complicated or back up everything and not just the changed files since last backup which means a lot of space being lost. Would appreciate any help and suggestions. Thanks Paul2008

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 1

Check this out its free for today link text

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

On FE's recommendation I now use Synctoy link text which is totally free and can be set up in several different ways. It's not really for backing up the system but is great for all the data folders that you are constantly using.

1: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52/ Click Here

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Try EZBackitup. This is for every type of data file but not system files.

It allows you to use a Windows Explorer type of window to select which files or folders you wish to backup (copy) and where to save the data.

Used in a simple way it will copy everything the first time, but after that will only overwrite any new or altered files. This is now a repeatable action which can be saved if you wish to make an alternative set of saved documents.

Once set up the progam only has to be opened and clicked on a green arrow in the menu bar. Subequent backups take very little time to complete.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Acronis is simple... I can't understand you saying it doesn't back up "just the files that have changed"... it does.

I use it daily and it is quick and easy to use. It takes all of 1 minute to open the program and set up an incremental backup to run on demand. Each daily run then takes around 2 to 3 minutes to complete...

And best of all... it works faultlessly when you need to recover from it.

Like this post
Paul2008

Likes # 0

Hi Folks Appreciate your replies. Many thanks Paul2008

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

There is no "One size fits all" method.

Users vary between those who install everything on drive C: to those who keep C: for the operating system only.

I'm in between, keeping C: for the OS and applications, but data of every kind is kept in appropriate folders on another drive. e.g. Word Documents in a Word folder, Pictures in Pics and its sub-folders etc. This allows me to backup and restore drive C: reasonably quickly.(This is Acronis' job).

Data alone is easily backed up in a matter of seconds using EZBackitup (see my earlier post May 27th at 9:25)

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

As mooly has said Acronis does what you want, just click inremental or full, or simpler still use continuous backup, that runs all the time so you only think about it when you hanve need of restore.

The latest Acronis TI is the simplest to use, I had some difficulty with the older version.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad