We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Time Date

March Wind
Resolved

Likes # 0

date time

Like this post
March Wind

Likes # 0

When I do not use my PC for a week or two. I find the time and date have stopped working. Can you advise please on what I should do about this also why is it happening?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

What help do you want about "Time Date"?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you are talking about a desktop, then it might be the button battery that wants changing. A laptop might be the same if the battery is low.

Low batteries might also cause other problems.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Renew the CMOS battery see here

Like this post  
March Wind

Likes # 0

Yes it is a desk top PC. Time keeps either stopping or goes very slowly. If I have not used the PC for a week or two when I switch on the date and time are not correct. If I need a new battery how and where will I find it. Do you know what type of battery it would be or do they vary?

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat/\0/\'s link above shows you how to change the CMOS battery and what type of battery you need

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As Fruit Bat /\0/\' link above. Unfortunately you'll need to find out how to open your PC's case. Google for that. Remember to unplug mains power supply before attempting it. Some info on you tube to replace cmos battery and select more than the one linked, cmos

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Is this PC a very old PC as the Battery should last at least three or more years. Its unplugging the Plug from Wall socket that runs them down, or turning the switch off

Like this post
March Wind

Likes # 0

Thank you for your help. The PC is 7 years old. The socket with the upper tab, pic (1). Should I be able to slide the battery out as well as in?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The install would be the same as removal, only in reverse order.

The batteries are readily available for about a £1.00 each or possibly a card of four for a £1.00 from some discount outlets. You should find that the battery as a four digit reference number.

On installing make sure that the battery contact tab is secure, before refitting the case. Some people tend to prise the tab up with a screwdriver, then find later that the contact is not as good.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite