We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

switch O.S

ripendigging

Likes # 0

I have a laptop running Vista Premium,I also have a genuine disc for XP which I no longer use,am I allowed to install the XP disc onto my laptop and remove Vista.If so would I use the product key on the bottom of my laptop or the one supplied with XP.Thankyou.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

You can move a genuine, full copy of XP from a defunst computer to a different one. You will use the COA that came with the XP disk.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

defunst = defunct!

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

The short answer is 'no'

Although the WinXP disk could be used on your laptop to replace Vista. If that copy of WinXP had already been installed on a near identical laptop, as the one you want to now put it on. By near identical, I mean a laptop which in more ways than not, ar/were the same.

If it had been on an older laptop previously and everything about the Vista laptop is newer and if the number you have was used prior on the other PC, the chances are when they check it for 'Activation' they won't activate it.

But hey, at the end of the day, if you try it and they won't let you. No problem, if you have the Vista disk you can always put that back in?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Before you try XP you need to make sure that you can get XP drivers for all of the hardware on the laptop.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK