We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Update Nightmare

paul654

Likes # 0

Every time my PC tries to install an update via Windows Update it turns off then turns back on again. This happens with EVERY update, either on automatic or manual install. Its got to the point that I have to 'Hide' the updates just to stop my PC knocking off. Please...any suggestions?

Windows 7 64bit, Core i7@2.8 Ghz, 4Gb ram

Like this post
paul654

Likes # 0

No answers to my problem yet...not even from the Microsoft forums..I'm getting desperate, even thinking of ringing a £100 per callout PC engineer :-(

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

You may have told the little Pop-up which says, "Windows needs to close to install your updates", that it does not need to show itself again.

I don't know how to re-instate the Pop-up, but most Updates need for Windows to Close to complete the Installation, so that is what you need to find out how to do

Like this post
paul654

Likes # 0

Just discovered that my PC crashes and restarts if I try to access 'System Restore' and also if I try to uninstall a programme using the Install/uninstall facility in Control Panel

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I think that your problem lies somewhat deeper than my original response.

What Anti Virus and Anti Malware Software are you running?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Do you have Service Pack 1 for Win 7 on your PC? If not it may be one of the updates trying to install and it has been known to crash Windows see here but as wee eddie says the trouble may be deeper and a virus/malware check is a good idea.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Check for malware with Malwarebytes then also your HD and W7 files for errors.

1) Right click c: in Explorer, Properties/Tools Tab/Check now. 'Chkdsk' will schedule on next reboot and take 30-60 mins before Windows boots.

2) Start/Search cmd.exe - Right click and Run as Administrator. Type - sfc /scannow You can carry on with your normal stuff while it runs in the background.

System file Checker

Like this post
paul654

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do have SP1 installed. I've just run a full Malwarebytes scan, Chkdsk and sfc/scannow scans, all found nothing but fault still persists. :-(

Like this post
paul654

Likes # 0

...also I might add, I've just found out that the PC crashes if I try to access 'System Protection' in System & Security/ Control panel. I've also just done a cleanboot and disabled all the none windows stuff but the problem is still there, was going to start disabling all the windows processes one at a time but not sure how safe this is.

Like this post
paul654

Likes # 0

Just tried 'error checking' my C drive...guess what, it crashed....oh the joys of MS Windows

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Have you tried running System Restore from the command prompt See here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination