We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Printer won't switch on

colberly

Likes # 0

I have an HP Photosmart C4780 all in one wireless printer, yesterday suddenly I got a message on my PC, printer disconnected & now no matter what I do the printer won't switch on, I have changed the fuse in the plug, tried the HP solutions centre & that gives me no help whatsoever. Anyone got any ideas please as to what maybe the problem or is my printer kaput. I have noticed also that on the plug bank on the surge protected extension the red light is on but the little green light which tells you that surge protection is on isn't lit. Thank you.

Like this post
The Old Mod

Likes # 0

I would try plugging the printer directly into a 13a socket that you know is OK and see what you get, it maybe that your socket bank has a problem.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Do you get power to the printer? Have you checked that the cable is fully inserted at the back of the printer? Have you tried another cable? Have you checked that you have not accidentally turned the printer off via the on/off button?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Probable that the surge protector has worked and is one which doesn't reset.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Sounds about like what others have suggested, and that is a possible problem with your surge device. Just try going direct into a live wall socket, and see what happens!.

Having no 'juice' to the printer, would have 'reset' the printer, and this might give an idea as to the power problem, as to whether its external or internal!.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

As well as trying another socket try another lead (if not wired fully into the printer).

After that its a matter of opening the printer (disconnected of course) abd seeing if there is an internal fuse.

Like this post
colberly

Likes # 0

Thank you all, have tried everything that was suggested, but looks like the on/off switch is broken. Now thinking of buying new printer which is possibly just as cheap if not cheaper than paying for repair.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes