We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Google Redirect Virus?

songbird72884

Likes # 0

I seem to be having some trouble with my browser/computer, and I'm thinking it might be down to the google redirect virus, but I'm not positive. My main cause for the suspicion is that, while most searches and site visits work fine, every half hour or so at least one link I click on will be redirected, with the alert from Avast that an attack has been prevented. Almost without fail, this will be accompanied by the message stating that a website with "66.230.188.67" followed by an incredibly long string of random characters is the culprit. This is combined with the URL bar showing the same IP/URL as in the detection message.

At the same time, I've been finding that my computer's slowing down a lot, as well as the browser occasionally freezing or crashing (though I'm not positive the last symptom is connected or not). Is this typical behaviour for the redirect virus? If so, how can I get rid of it. I've run scans with Avast, McAfee Stinger and MalwareBytes, none of which are showing any abnormalities, so I'm at a loss.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Join the forum at beepingcomputer.com and they will guide you through it. Combofix can be downloaded from their site ClickHere for info

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September