We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft updates wont update

Graphicool1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Microsoft Updates won't update

I'm using FF4 and have uninstalled IE, could this be the reason?

Action: Install patches Entering Function: HotIron::Main::Run Entering Function: HotIron::MetaData::CreateMetaData succeeded Entering Function: HotIron::CompositeInstaller::Install Entering Function: HotIron::CBaseMspInstaller::Install Entering Function: HotIron::MspInstallerT::PerformMsiOperation Action: Install patches (g:\c2c38821909c00dbdb1d96\NDP20SP2-KB2446704.msp) to Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Returning IDOK. INSTALLMESSAGEERROR [The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2721. ] Patch (g:\c2c38821909c00dbdb1d96\NDP20SP2-KB2446704.msp) install failed on product (Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2). Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0-KB244670420110525_174904624-Msi0.txt MsiInstallProduct returned 0x643 Entering Function: HotIron::MspInstallerT::Rollback

Action complete. Log File: C:\DOCUME~1\MIKE~1.MED\LOCALS~1\Temp\Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0-KB244670420110525174904624-Msi0.txt failed and rolled back PerformMsiOperation returned 0x643 PerformMsiOperation returned 0x643 Composite Installer is reporting 0x80070643 - Fatal error during installation. Fatal error during installation.

Oh Joy!

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

These are are what is installed...

Ms .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Ms .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 Ms .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Windows XP SP3

These are the ones that fail...

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2416447)

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982168)

Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2446704)

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86

Anyone have any idea why they wont load?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Should read...

These are are what is installed...

Ms .NET Framework 2.0 SP2

Ms .NET Framework 3.0 SP2

Ms .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Windows XP SP3

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Unfortunately you can only use IE to update Microsoft stuff try the IE Tab link text addon for FF

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Thanx fruit Bat /\0/\

I'll give it a go.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

UPDATE (if only)

Stage One I added an IE tab. But nothing happened when I clicked on it. Then the obvious occurred to me...I'd already uninstalled IE so how would a link work?

Stage Two I thought, oh well I'll just have to reinstall IE6 from my WinXP installation disk. Apparently you can't, or at least it wouldn't do it for me. I even explored the disk and couldn't even see it!

Stage Three I went online to download IE7. Had two of three attempts, different sites, still no go. This time it kept saying that the IE I already had was a later version? I thought this odd, being as I didn't have one, unless they were looking at Firefox.

Stage Four I had to bite the bullet and install IE8. Been there, did that. All up and running, no problems, except one teeny weeny one...

I still can't update the PC, it still says 'Failled'!?

Next Stage Guys?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I know it might appear fairly obvious but is Windows Update running in Services. If not it needs to be turned on.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

northumbria61

"is Windows Update running in Services"

Well, I couldn't actually find the heading 'Windows Update'. However, there is something called 'Automatic Updates' and that is set to 'Started'. There is also something that calls itself 'Windows Installer'? That wasn't switched to started but is now.

Following the above I once again tried to 'Update' but still no joy!?

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

My personal experiences of .NET Framework installation failures has generally been resolved by uninstalling all instances of .NET Framework using the dotnetfxcleanuptool link text

and reinstalling all from scratch - in the correct order - and checking for updates after the installation of each version.

It is time consuming and will probably take about one hour.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

cocteau48

Yes, I had thought of that, but as my last resort. Being as no updates are actually updating, removing those that have, doesn't go without some concerns. My thoughts were along the lines that, at present at least I have some updates. If I remove these and then they won't install again or anything else. I'll be even more stuffed than I am already. But I have a cunning plan, I'm using a programme that allows you to lift a previously installed programme/s and move it to another drive, on another PC. The beauty of this method is the PC you are moving it to can't reject it by saying it won't install, because it isn't being installed! In fact its files are being replaced into all the places they were on the host PC.

Now that I've lifted all the updates, to date, from the host PC I have back-up if the 'Dotnetfx' and consequent reinstall, doesn't work.

I think I'll leave it till tomorrow before starting out on what could be an epic voyage of discovery. When I'll have the whole day ahead of me. I'll post the outcome.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

UPDATE

Hi cocteau48

I had a look at 'Dotnetfx' and they, like me thought it best to leave it as a last resort. However, after trying to uninstall the .NET Framework and SP's manually a few times and keeping on coming up against a brick wall. I decided to try 'Dotnetfx', as by then it had become my last hope. I'm glad to say after everything that had gone before, 'Dotnetfx' was a dream. Putting them all back and the additions took quite a while though and having to keep restarting the PC was a chore. But I didn't just sit there waiting to intercede, I went off and did other things, just popping back every so often to check how it was going. I now have all the Frameworks right up to and including 4, I didn't even know there was a 4 before? I also picked up a few other things on the was too, like the Internet Search from the Desktop Task Bar. So all in all it was very well worth doing.

Cheers guys for all your imput. G1 ¦¬)

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers