We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Two Monitors

Border View
Resolved

Likes # 0

Sorry if this sounds too simple to believe, but I am looking to purchase a new desktop computer. I like to use two monitors (currently use a 15" laptop with a 21" monitor attached.

When looking at the specification of a new desktop pc what should I be looking for to ensure it will take two monitors.

Thank you.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Graphic card with at least two outlets of the sort you want to use (DVI)and at least 1gb of mem on the card. Lots of main mem (8GB).

Like this post  
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Woody's pretty much right. Typically, for a desktop PC to support two monitors, it will need to have a separate/discrete graphics card (so - not 'on board' graphics) with two graphics ports. These will typically be one VGA and one DVI, or two DVI ports. A very few desktop PC motherboards feature two graphics ports, but they're in the minority.

I'm not sure where Woody's coming from on the memory thing, though. I have regularly and successfully driven two monitors from a low end graphics card (64MB/128MB onboard memory) in a 256MB/512MB machine. However, if you want to do more than office applications/web surfing - gaming, for example, or photo/video editing - then more memory on the graphics card and in the PC itself is definitely a good idea.

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

Depending on what you want the second monitor for it may be cheaper to go for the USB option

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=1&oq=usb+mon&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGHPen-GBGB418GB418&q=usb+monitor+adapter#q=usb+monitor+adapter&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGHPen-GBGB418GB418&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=8MrcTZOXGcGFhQfR7CmDw&ved=0CFQQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.rgc.r_pw.&fp=1965919d2a148062&biw=1664&bih=857

Obviously not suitable for gaming, but fine for still images.

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

Sorry, forgot links have changeslink text

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Thanks for responding fellas.

So if I don't go down the USB route - when reading the specification its got to be dedicated graphics card and VGA and DVI ports or two DVI ports.

When I think I have found what I am looking for I shall return to put past you the specification.

Thanks again.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Back again - should have asked. Do both monitors have to be the same size? This was suggested in my local computer shop.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

No, they absolutely don't. I run a 1,280 x 1,024 monitor and a 1,440 x 900 monitor of very different sizes. With your graphics card, you should get software/drivers that will allow you to set up the monitors how you want and set their resolutions etc. individually. (That's certainly true with NVIDIA cards - I imagine it's equally true for ATI/AMD cards).

Why on earth would your PC shop say that, though? Unless they only have one size of monitor in stock...? :-)

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Many thanks - thought he was pulling my strings. I don't know an awful lot about computers but I think I know more than this chap thought I did.

Kind regards

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

That said: aesthetically, two monitors the same size probably look prettier - especially if they're the same model. Never underestimate the importance of a pretty computer setup... :-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...