We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

advent 8117 power on password

vincent1

Likes # 0

hi i have recently acquired a advent 8117 laptop of a local car boot it had a broken dc jack on the mother board so i have replaced that and also it had a missing hard drive and replaced that the problem now is it has a power on password which i don't know can anyone help me?? so i cant get in to bios the boot menu nothing at all

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

try removing the bios battery AND the rechargable battery for 10 minutes. Install both batteries and try again

Do you know BIOS make? BIOS Passwords here, here, and here.

Like this post
Devil Fish

Likes # 0

seems to be a Pheonix Bios

Like this post
vincent1

Likes # 0

yes it is thanks for your reply's have tried all the backdoor passwords etc etc removed both battery's and on start up its still there goggling it says it defently a power on password but no help on how to remove it i have just done a dell c600 that was easy a guide on you tube nothing for advent though

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sometimes reflashing the BIOS will work.

Like this post
vincent1

Likes # 0

hi do you know if i get a 15 in model motherboard would it fit in mine as mines a 17in model as there a few on the bay for spares

Like this post
Devil Fish

Likes # 0

you also need to bare in mind many of the newer laptops store passwords in the eeprom wich is seperate from the bios the only way to reset that is with a jumper on the motherboard for which you will need a manual or take it to somebody who knows how to deal with it

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback