We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Monitor

Bez
Resolved

Likes # 0

After having switched on my PC the monitor did not come on. I thought I must have switched it off by mistake. So I pushed the switch and it still did not come on. On switching once more the green light appeared for a few seconds only to go back to the 'off' position. Is this a sign that the monitor has packed up?

Like this post
Bez

Likes # 0

Thank you very much for your help. I am going to have the switch inspected.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

wee-eddie I don't think that it could be the switch itself or the light would not change from amber to green and back and that may rule out the cable too when I think about it. I think that the graphics card has gone kaput.

Like this post
Bez

Likes # 0

Thank you for your help. I am going to have the switch inspected.

Like this post
Bez

Likes # 0

Well, if it is the graphics card does it mean I need a new computer which is ten yeas old?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Ten years old is ancient in computer terms (as is a 17 yr old monitor). They're cheap these days, so not worth spending money on the old one (I would say).

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Nothing wrong with a 10 year old Computer if it does what you want it too.

Spending: If you have £500.00, or so, handy. You can have great fun choosing another PC but, remember, much of your Software and most of your peripherals (printers etc) will not work with the new model.

If you have a handy £120.00, or so, you could buy yourself a, state of the art Monitor, very wizzy, Thin screen, 22 to 24 inch, with vibrant Colours and then carry on using your PC for the next 5 years.

p.s. I did not say that the On/Off Switch was broken, I said that I thought that it had developed a fault, which is a different thing altogether. Frequently a precursor to being broken, though.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Somehow I missed the bit about the monitor being 17 years old so I would approach it this way. Start with getting a new monitor, if funds are limited take a look in the small ads in the local newspaper; in ours you can pick up a 17" LCD for around £30 as there are lots of people upgrading to 20" or higher. See it working before you buy. Connect it to your PC and boot up, if the system works you are in business for a while longer. If not you have a half decent monitor ready for use with a newervPC. A 10 year old PC is not worth upgrading but keep the hard drive so you can clone it across to your new system or at a minimum get your data files from it.

Like this post
Bez

Likes # 0

Thank you for all your suggestions, I know now what to do.I'll take the monitor to a friend to find out whether the monitor is at fault or if it is the graphics card. After that things should be clearer.

It has been very interesting to receive helpful hints from all of you and to profit from your experience. I am grateful, thank you all.

This is the end of my inquiry.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Bez:

Now you need to close the thread > Chose the Posting that has been most illuminating > Click the little Thumbs-Up Logo and a Tick will appear beneath it > Click that Tick and it will go Green > mission accomplished.

Like this post
Bez

Likes # 0

It was the monitor!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...