We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mouse & Keyboard

wee eddie
Resolved

Likes # 0

What, if any, are the advantages of USB over PS2?

Now, I'm not asking about whether they're prettier or more modern, I'm asking whether one is a more efficient, faster, or more reliable connection than the other.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

IMHO, there's absolutely nothing to choose. The only thing is, if you use your PS/2 ports for mouse and keyboard, you free up valuable USB ports for other stuff.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Well I have USB 3 on my computer and when I asked the question is USB 3 better than PS2 I was advised just to use the PS2 connection.

So I would assume PS2 must be better than USB but how I don't know.

Like this post  
wiz-king

Likes # 0

With some systems you may have to change a bios setting if you need to use USB and safe mode. I prefer using PS2 as I need all the USB ports I can get, I am using 7 at the moment which only leaves me 1 spare.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

My motherboard Click Here has a single PS2 port half green and half purple to take either a mouse or a keyboard. Not being a fan of wireless keyboards but liking wireless mice I use the PS2 for the keyboard and USB for the mouse. Like wiz-king I keep as many USB ports as free as possible.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good