We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Outlook and vanishing emails

exdragon

Likes # 0

Hi - I'm using Outlook 2003 and was speaking to my bank in order to get my security details reset. The girl sent me an email, which I saw arrive, along with 2 or 3 others - then they all vanished. She sent it again but I wasn't quick enough to select it before it too disappeared.

Not in the junk box and when I did a search for what she told me was the 'From' address - no trace in any folders. I sent myself a couple of test messages which arrived, and I don't have a black list set up. I've also received emails from the bank recently.

When I checked the laptop, they were all there.

Does anyone know if I've reset something somewhere?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Check the 'inbox' and see if the latest emails are at the top? You may have clicked on the 'Received' header by accident, making the last emails come in at the bottom of the list and not be showing.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

They are sorted by date, latest on top. I did a search for them, but no trace.

I'll try a reboot just in case! Well, you never know, do you?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

You don't by chance have more than one email client, of which none are set to 'Default' do you? I had four at one time, when I was testing them to see which was best?

If this is the first time anything like this has happened? Perhaps it's more by way of something the sender is doing, rather than you or your email client.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Assume that you have looked in the deleted folder.

What anti-virus do you have?

"When I checked the laptop, they were all there." - Different system? If so the laptop may have downloaded them and not on to the pc. Are they present with webmail?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I'm no expert but reading what you have said suggests that your PC and Laptop were both on-line at the same time.

It strikes me that your e-Mails, initially, downloaded to the PC and were then forwarded directly to the Laptop. Now the mechanism for this, I've never set it up as I didn't use my laptop to access e-Mail, is I believe a comparatively simple part of Outlook.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies. The laptop wasn't on until I had the sudden thought that they might be there. I've got Outlook 2003 on the desktop and Live Mail on the laptop - never had any problems until this morning!

I did try a post here earlier to say that the notification timed at 12.28 had arrived in the laptop but not the desktop, but I had the 'Wait' button but I gave up waiting. I see Graphicool1's email is now visible on the desktop, but his is the only notification I've got.

I received other emails (from myself and a friend) with no problem, so I guess it's yet another one of life's little mysteries.

A glass of wine may help....

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Are you leaving a copy of the e-mail on the server? If not, if using POP, you will end up with some e-mails on the desktop and some on the laptop

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Yes,leaving them on the server in both cases. Seems odd that only selected emails go astray, while others don't.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

It's still going on - almost as if what is thought to be junk is automatically being deleted. The three yesterday from Halifax have now been joined by a (genuine) one from PayPal.

I'm using Kaspersky IS 11 and have scoured it to see if I can find a setting which deletes what it considers to be spam, but can't find anything.

I need to keep the laptop on to see if I get any replies to this problem!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...