We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer won't boot

mylogin

Likes # 0

Our computer is starting to not boot up. When the on button is pressed the fans start up and the hard drive activity indicator is on and steady. there are no beeps, the keyboard Num/caps/scroll do not flash and the monitor is blank. It takes quite a few attempts to power off then on before it boots normally. Once it has booted then the computer runs without fault. I have changed the power supply. Whilst trouble shooting i have tried removing the ram and tried them individually and in different slots. I have reseated every plug, unplugged all usb cables, even disconnected the HDD and DVD drives then turning on. I have removed and reseated the processor and removed the button cell and checked the voltage at 3v. Any ideas please?

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name PACKARD System Manufacturer WinFast System Model 6100M2MA
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 95 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~2611 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 07/06/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.2 Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32 Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1 Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name PACKARD\Owner
Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB Available Physical Memory 1.36 GB Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB Available Virtual Memory 1.95 GB Page File Space 3.79 GB Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Like this post
kristain

Likes # 0

have you tried taking the motherboard out of the case, and hooking it all up, it could be a short caused by a design, or misplaced motherboard riser. it could also be you are overclocking. ram , or the settings for the ram. do you know if you have updated anything right before the problem starts, do you have a easy bios auto updater? any other auto updaters?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Try this: Unplug all peripherals, Printers, screen, USB attached devices etc. Remove the power supply lead. Hold the power button for 40 seconds to a minute. Re-attach essential peripherals like monitor, keyboard and mouse etc and reboot.

When this happens do you by any chance have an external HDD attached by USB? This could also be the cause of the problem.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If you look at some similar questions on Google the answers and solutions seem to boil down to 1. Failing Power Supply (but I see that you have already changed that. Was it a new one?) or 2. Failing capacitors on the motherboard - how old is yours? or 3. In one instance it was associated with the motherboard USB to front panel USB plug/socket being out by one pin - although that seems unlikely in your case unless you have moved them around.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

chub_tor is correct and for info my offering was to sort the capacitor problem. I didn`t think to ask if it was a new PSU though!

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Clearly with the Age I agree the most likley problem is a capacitor problem. check carefully for domeing or leaks.All the information give including the repeated rebooting points in that direction.

If the capacitor,s are damaged unless your an expert I would suggest its time to upgrade, Look around a new system may be cheaper than to replace various bits

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

As you have checked out the most obvious items, and you appear to have good working knowledge , it might be time to get a new motherboard. I would suggest a motherboard Bundle, then you can use your old Hardrives, monitor,keyboard,mouse etc.

This isa company I have used may times and had good service,[link text][1]

[1]: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Search/Components/Motherboards?answersort=Price+(Ascending)&answersper_page=20&source=googleppc&gclid=CO-kkcGZgKkCFQoa4QodXXBXSw called Micro Direct, and their prices are very reasonable.

If you have a XP CD , it might be easier to rebuild to a new drive, or possibly you could borrow a Cd and use your number as printed on the case. You may have to re-register your XP home as it is clased as a new system

Terry

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

For some reason the link did not work -retry. Terry

link text

Like this post
mylogin

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone for the replies and ideas. I will try and answer them all with this reply. It was a new power supply i fitted. I forgot to mention that most of the time the computer boots first time and started playing up about a week ago. I replaced the motherboard with a bundle when the original Intel chiped/Gigabyte motherboard failed completly. The CPU, motherboard and Ram are all about four years old. I can't see any of the capacitors bulging on the ends though this does not mean that one is not failing. I did try removing all of the peripherals except the monitor whilst i was trouble shooting. I am not overclocking anything and i don't remember updating any thing immediatly before the trouble started. I might try and remove the motherboard and check for debri or signs of shorting. I might also try leaving the front usb slots unplugged. I was suspecting that it may be an intermitant motherboard fault. If i have no joy then i will go and get a brand new upto date system as this one is now a bit dated though i hate throwing out working stuff. Cheers everyone.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

This suggestion is almost certainly useless to you, because the fault is intermittent, but it does have the beauty of simplicity. It is rather like the routine of disconnecting the motherboard battery, but much less fuss.

So: switch off at the wall.

Press and hold the reboot switch for 10 seconds.

Switch on at the wall and then the computer.

Like this post
mylogin

Likes # 0

Thanks, i will give that a try. Though since writing the original post a couple of days ago it has not played up after giving a few days of grief.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback