We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Backing up C: Drive

IClaudio
Resolved

Likes # 0

My Windows 7 installation is, I think, in bad need of a fresh start (Explorer keeps crashing, and there are several driver incompatibilities).

Most of my programs/games/data were installed/saved, not to the C: drive, but to another internal HDD. If I choose to 'repair' Windows on the C: drive, which I presume re-formats the drive, will my programs on the other drive still work as they should (as I assume some components, like DDLs, will reside on the C: drive)?

I have Acronis: how should I proceed?

I hope I have explained this well!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you use Acronis it will just give you an exact copy of your drive including the problems

It sounds as if you want a Clean install of W7 or a factory reset, either will mean reinstalling most of your programs to get the required registry entries.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

As Fruit Bat has said you will need to reinstall all the program.

I would install tem on the C and then use Acronis to create an Image. That way if you have an issue in the future the reinstall is much easier.

You should aldo use Acronis to back up the data on your other volume.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

This may still be free I have never used it so cannot comment but it is the right price.

link text

Like this post
IClaudio

Likes # 0

Thanks for all your help!

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...