We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Matching pci card to motherboard

J. I.

Likes # 0

I am wanting to match the correct pci wireless network card to the following motherboard. Manufacturer ASUS. Manufacturers Code M4N68T-M LE V2. Product description AM3 AMD GF 7025 DDR3 mATX. I have no experience in this field and will appreciate any help that can be given. The computer is working well with exception i am unable to co online until i aquire correct card' Many thanks joni

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Any PCI wireless card should work

a selection here

Why do you think you need a specific one?

You could always use a wirless dongle like these if you do not want to open the machine and insert a card

Like this post
J. I.

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply Fruit Bat. The card i require slots straight into back of motherboard much the same as memory slots in, there are no brackets or retention screw to hold in place. Not sure if it has to be specific card for aligning with slot cut out in much the same way that a memory card does. I am basically trying to connect the desk top computer down stairs to desk top computer upstairs wirelessly. The one upstairs is connected to internet via BT router. Looking through your list of suggestions, the link ( A selection here) would you say the D-Link DUB E100- network adaptor HI Speed USB -EN, Fast en -10 Base-T, 100 Base-TX would be suitable to do the job. I have to admit i am on a slow learning curve and would be sad to spend money on something that was'nt suitable. I do greatly appreciate your help on this. joni

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I have just had a look at you motherboard manual and it says nothing about fitting a particular PCi wireless card, so as 'Fruit Bat/\0\'says any one will do. Your board only has the 2 PCi slots so take your pick.

Like this post
J. I.

Likes # 0

You were both right the board will take a standard card. I purchased one for £14.99 from Misco and it matched and works fine. I had been informed by a friend previously that wireless cards had to be matched to particular motherboards, as this was my first experience with this i believed what i was told. It now seems he confused this with memory cards. This is a learning curve and one step further forward. I do appreciate your inputs Fruit Bat and gengiscant in pointing me in the correct direction.

joni
Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Your welcome,and as long as you are prepared to ask questions, no matter how naive/simple they seem to be ,you will continue to learn.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Again your welcome, better to ask and learn rather than waste money on an incompatible part that may even wreck the machine if fitted.

:0)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good