We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

32 bit processor software on a 64bit

Likes # 0

I have just bought a Dell Laptop and it was only when I started to use the Word Starter software that I realised that it would permanently have pop ups running with it. I resent this sort of marketing and would have preferred not to have had any pre-installed software but its part of the Dell connection with other companies that this happens. I have two questions: 1. Will the Word software on my redundant computer which has the wonderful XP software and a 32 bit processor run on the new computer which has windos7 and a 64 bit processor? 2. If I have to buy new Word software where is the most cost effective place to legally shop?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

32-bit programs will run fine in a 64-bit PC; they are in a separate folder.

[64-bit programs] C:\Program Files\

[32-bit programs] C:\Program Files (x86)\

It is with peripherals such as Printers, Scanners etc where 64-bit specific drivers are usually required.

If you need a new copy of Word, Office 2010 Home & Student is an option.

Like this post
pk46

Likes # 0

As has been said software on older printers and scanners that cause problems my Canon printer won't run on 64BIT but it's 8 years old but will on Windows 7 32BIT my other Canon printer does have a 64BIT driver i downloaded but it has limited use.Some Adobe software won't work on 64Bit. Whem you see 4GB of RAM on the computer spec it's a 64BIT system as a 32BIT system can not see over 3GB.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Many thanks, it's the Word software I was worried about because although my Samsung ML6040 printer is a solid machine it is getting on and printers are fairly cheap these days so many thanks all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback