We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Error message's

Hetti

Likes # 0

I installed a free 30 day trial of software called Ace software (it is system cleaner) I ran it and cleaned the laptop, but since the I'm getting the following error message's on boot up.

CMD.exe application error Application failed to initialize (0xc000142) click OK to terminate, I do so them immediately get the same Error message for AGMMailagent, then exactly the same message for Firefox.

I have tried a system restore but that failed, so I though I'd ask here before I do anything more. The laptop seems to be going OK except I have to try to open Firefox a couple of times as It doe's not respond on the first two attempts. run win vista home

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I think Ace Software are a Malaysian company but other than that I know little about them. If there is no 'undo' facility within the cleaner I can only suggest the following.

The tool you used may well have been very enthusiastic in cleaning your Registry as CMD.exe is (I think) the executable file for the Command Prompt. You can see if this is functioning at all by going to 'Start/All Programs/Run' and type 'CMD' in the box and select 'OK'. A little black window should open on the desktop. If it doesn`t run it is likely the file has been damaged by the cleaner.

As for AGMailagent, I understand this is a Virgin Media file but its function is a mystery to me.

To recover the situation you could try running 'sfc /scannow' to repair any protected files that have been damaged; the link tells you how link text.

If this fails to resolve the issues post back and we'll try again.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Suggest system restore to a point before you installed the software.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Oops - just noticed system restore failed.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hetti

Click on 'My Computer' Right click (C:) where 'C' is the system drive At the bottom of the pop up click 'Properties' Click the 'Tools' tab Under 'Error Checking' click 'Check Now' Select 'Automatically fix file system errors'

It will say it can't do it until you reboot, click 'OK' and reboot.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Sorry about the jumble, it should look like this...

Click on 'My Computer'

Right click (C:) where 'C' is the system drive

At the bottom of the pop up click 'Properties'

Click the 'Tools' tab

Under 'Error Checking' click 'Check Now'

Select 'Automatically fix file system errors'

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks all I carried out the above suggestions but I still have the same problem, the message I get after the scannow test is as follows. "Win resource protection found some corrupt files, but was unable to fix some of them".

Can I just add when I try to open some applications I'm also getting the same error message but relating to the application I'm trying to open (name of the application is in the title bar at top of the window) however when I try for the second time the app opens OK.

I also found all of the files Ace software had deleted in the recycle bin so put them all back, but still no joy.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Hi all

Just to let you all know the Error messages problem is sorted now, what happened is I downloaded Comodo software called Geek buddy to get remote PC help, but after I downloaded and rebooted the PC Geek buddy sent a pop up message saying I had this problem on my PC did I want them to fix it, I clicked the "Fix it " button and hey presto all good now. That was without even talking to someone at Comodo. I'm so happy to have Laptop working without the constant error messages. Thanks

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Hetti

Glad you got it sorted, but now might be a good time to take stock of what happened. Next time you might not be so lucky? You should always be proactive and take the precaution to get into the habit of always making sure you set a 'System Restore' point before installing anything or running anything new.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded