We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

"all programmes" wiped

shelfman

Likes # 0

After being subject to the scam by optimiser man using team viewer, I have lost "all progammes". There are some items there but most are empty and no Office and no system tools. The "all programmes" is there when I log in as administrator in safe mode. The PC is XP Home SP3. Is anybody able to suggest a way or a tool to fix this? I have tried all sorts with msconfig to no avail.

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

I had a similar problem, and I ran System Restore in Safe Mode, which brought things back to normal!

Maybe this will work for you! Hope so!

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Do your desktop icons work? This sounds like a piece of malware.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Go to My Computer and open up your system drive by Right Clicking and select EXPLORE, not open, have a look at te tree and if you see a program just above the drive that you do not reconise, that is the program causing the problem. Try going direct to (i.e.) my folders to see if your files are intact, if so you need to break the link between the the malware and system drive.

Without knowing more, I cannot advise further, however you could try disabling the start up option for that program in MSconfig.

Terry

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Repair XP

OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Fruit bat /\0/\

When using Scannow to repair a system, If your Cd is not updated you will cause more problems than you cure. i.e. If you Cd is XP sp2 and you have XP sp3 on your system it will not work.

I tried your link and it siad not found ?

link text

direct link

Terry

Like this post
shelfman

Likes # 0

Thank you to all for your suggestions. Scannow does not work. System Restore does not go back before the event. I cannot find any corrupt/wrong files in msconfig. Also I cannot find any malware/virus. Search and indexing and control panel had been disabled, but I have switched control panel back on. I am using a new user account but my PC is "sick", though I can use IE and mail. So I am saving up for a new PC. (This one is Packard Bell from 2002).

Thank you

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

This from another Forum.

Just go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder and move all of these items out of that folder into a temporary folder on your desktop and your start menu will populate with the default entries. Then move them back and your good to go!

Like this post
shelfman

Likes # 0

"Run" has gone from my start menu as well. It is on my new user account. However run does not find the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder. I have searched through all the start menu files and all are empty. I think that the optimiser "salesman" must have deleted them before I disconnected him. There semms to be no way of retrieving them.

Thank you

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

What happens when you use the Windows Key & "R" key combination? Does that get the run dialog box? Can you load install programs from a USB Memory Stick for example?

Like this post
shelfman

Likes # 0

I get the box saying "The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator" I can use run in safe mode as administrator and on my new user account. Both the broken account and the new one are in administrator group. I presume I can load from a stick, but I do not have one to test it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes