We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

graphic card problems!

andrewc2007

Likes # 0

Hi, I have upgraded a Compaq Presario SR1080UK XP edition to Win 7 and increased the RAM to 2 GB. I tried to play Chess Titans and found I could only get a basic version (no 3D ) and guessed this would down to the games card. I replaced the old card with a Radeon HD 4650 1GB DDR2 and on rebbot the card was recognised. However on restart the computer would not start properly. I have now put the old card back and everything is as it was before. Can anyone tell me if the new card is the correct one and if so have I followed the right procedures - if not can you please tell me what to do. Thank you in advance.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Try uninstalling the software for the old card properly, then reinstall the new card during installation let Wins 7 find the card and drivers. Another point is with Wins 7 I would try to increase the ram to 4 g.

Like this post
andrewc2007

Likes # 0

Hi Rickf, Thanks for the reply - will I lose the old drivers (don't have backup) -

the motherboard will only take 2GB max - no more slots. The research I did before upgrading to Win 7 stated this would suffice!

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

andrewc2007

Can I suggest you close your other thread in this forum and the one in the Helproom otherwise things will get confusing.

To close just click on the grey tick on the right of the first response post in the thread.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Just download the drivers from the ATI site. Identify your card and look the drivers. Simple. Nothing to wprry about losingthem.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

After you have downloaded the correct drivers for your card (Page attached) link text

then restart your computer your computer in safe mode, select vga mode and load the new drivers.

VGA mode is a very low resolution(no graphic drivers loaded) and will insure you have a clean install.

Terry

Like this post
gaming123

Likes # 0

make sure that the software g-card and ram are compatible

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...