We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Slow PC Should I try superantispyware?

bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Good morning!

My year old pc windows 7 64 bit has really slowed down. I've run avast av and spybot and got rid of any show problems. There is nothing on avast and the problems show up on spybot I manage to clear by running as an administrator. However, my pc is still very slow. I don't think that it is my router as my laptop is not running any slower than it normally does. So I am thinking (and please feel free to tell me otherwise) of running superantispyware. Do I need to run this from a separate memory stick? I seem to remember doing this before and I am also assuming that I have to disable avast.

Thank you again for all your help. I always appreciate any support from this site!

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

We have an all in package for our phone calls and broadband put together, which is about £15 a month. It is with sky. We've asked before about our download speed and have been told that they cannot increase it, as we are so far from the exchange. I know this is an old excuse but there seems little we can do about it.

On the plus side, things have improved, if I type something now, it appears as I hit the keys. There is no longer any delay. So, I think that all your recommendations have helped. Thank you!

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

I just wanted to say thank you to all those who have helped me with this problem! My PC is back to its normalish self and I appreciate all the time and support that you have given me again!!!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

It is a pity about your poor downloading and uploading speeds with SKY.

Have you tried filters in the phone sockets if it is still a BT line.

Never tried it myself as I got rid of BT about 10 years ago,But have read where putting filters in the phone line helps.

I am with Virginmedia and they charge almost double of what you are paying so maybe best staying with Sky just a pity about the speeds.

Maybe someone that uses Sky could advise you what sort of speeds to expect and a way to get them.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'what sort of speeds to expect'

It's true that distance from the exchange is a major factor (along with time of day, condition of line etc). However, I'm 3km from my exchange and regularly get over 6meg - Friends in the village a few hundred meters from the exchange only get 2.

'Tis all very odd, but, we get BT Infinity next year, so that should keep some happy.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Just a thought. Is your connection to the Router, Wireless or Cabled?

If Wireless, is it possible that your connection is not secure. If it isn't, others may be using your connection, thereby reducing the speed that you achieve and, for that matter, using some of your available Bandwidth.

Sky are always boasting about the speeds that they are able to offer and yours sounds to be well below what they are leading one to expect.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite