We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Slow PC Should I try superantispyware?

bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Good morning!

My year old pc windows 7 64 bit has really slowed down. I've run avast av and spybot and got rid of any show problems. There is nothing on avast and the problems show up on spybot I manage to clear by running as an administrator. However, my pc is still very slow. I don't think that it is my router as my laptop is not running any slower than it normally does. So I am thinking (and please feel free to tell me otherwise) of running superantispyware. Do I need to run this from a separate memory stick? I seem to remember doing this before and I am also assuming that I have to disable avast.

Thank you again for all your help. I always appreciate any support from this site!

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Thank you both again. I am hoping that I can post this reply a bit quicker than the last! Please excuse my ignorance but what is a Host file?

I'm not sure if I have Adblock plus. I will investigate.

I have run a defrag but not fc /scannow or chkdsk. Quite a bit to go on with for now. Many thanks for the suggestions!

onthelimit1, it's not just this site. It's everything and it's been like that for a few days now. What is wrong with PCadvisor anyway? I cannot manage without it.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'I cannot manage without it. '

Nor me, but it's suffering some extended teething problems with the new layout.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

it's ok if you don't know what the Host file is there is no way you would have downloaded another one so we can forget that.

AdBlock Plus would be in your add-ons in Firefox if you have already downloaded it.

sfc /scannow in command prompt would probably take about 10 minutes.

chkdsk could take a couple of hours and you can't use your computer while it is running.

So it would be My Computer.right click C drive and choose properties. Tools.check now.Tick both boxes and reboot and chkdsk will then start.

You will find Device manager on Control panel.Just open it and see if there is any yellow exclamation marks beside any of the devices.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

What is it that's happening to make you think that your PC has slowed down?

I know that this may seem a silly question but it might give us a clue to the problem.

Oh, and what is the Specification of the PC?

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Hi again and thank you for all your replies

Buteman, I have installed ADBlock plus and run chkdsk. There were no problems.

I have forgotten how to run sfc/scannow or is it different in Windows 7?

I haven't downloaded a host file but my son, who has access to the PC might well have. If you could tell me what to look for, that would be good!

I don't appear to have any yellow exclamation marks besides the devices.

Another question, sorry, should I use superantispyware instead of spybot?

In answer to your questions wee eddie. My PC is slow to open emails, especially ones that contain pictures/photos. Typing was a problem, as the letters wouldn't appear until sometime after I typed the keys. The typing problem has improved immensely, so maybe I am getting there. I have a Dell Inspriron windows 7 64 bit.

Thank you for all your support!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Questions Questions:

When you say Typing, do you mean into Word, or similar, or while you're entering Script onto an Internet site?

You mention a son: These can be an interesting phenomenon.

Has he loaded any games, or other programs, recently?

Run CCleaner and have a look to see what is opening at Start-up. When you have a look at the Start-up list in Tools, disable everything except your security Software and check that he has not added another Anti Virus Program "for extra security".

While you're at it, I'd recommend adding one of these. Broadband Monitor This is the one I use and is very simple to use, all you need to do is to re-set it at the beginning of every month.

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Hi again wee eddie. Thank you for your help!

As far as typing is concerned, it has been both the Internet and word but at the moment that seems to be fine again. No delay.

My son. Um! He is the reason for a new PC last year. He used to disable my AV so he could download "not such good stuff", shall we say. Let a lot of Trojans in. Things are so much better now with him. He has done some growing up. However, I can guarantee that he won't have installed another AV. He could have well installed other programs but I can't see anything when I click programs from the start menu.

I had a look at Broadband monitor, Thank you. I'm supposed to have Sky's Unlimited broadband and I know that it doesn't really mean that but I'm pretty sure that we don't get anywhere near out download limits.

Thank you again for you support. Hope that you can still help!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

[Command prompt].All programs.Accessories.And click on command prompt. type in sfc /scannow a little gap between the sfc and the forward slash or it will not work.press enter on the keyboard for it to start and type Exit when it finishes.

Not sure how you check Host File now you used to have to check it through Notepad, but I check mine on another program that I have called Winpatrol so I do not have to use Notepad.

And yes I would use Superantispyware in place of Spybot not sure if you can actually have the 2 of them or not.

Speed test I use this one,link text

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Hello again Buteman. Thank you for staying with me over this!

I have now run scannow and it did not find any integrity problems. Which is good news of course.

I have used the speed test that you have suggested and I think that now this maybe the cause of my problem. I only got 413 kbps download speed and 149kbps upload speed. No other devices were using our broadband at the time.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Well that looks like your problem then that is very poor.

What sort of download speed are you paying for.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?