We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Update, not service pack?

The Brown Rock

Likes # 0

Windows Update will install every update but Windows Service Pack of any number. I have tried to install it manually, I have switched off my computer Protection I have engaged Windows Troubleshoot, which made changes that are said to be Fixed On each ocasion I get a failed notice on restart.I have now discovered that it is an attempt to install the 'service pack' on each and every occasion on logoff that prompted a previous thread as to why I had 1 update on each occcasion on shutdown.I know now that I can hide this to stop the repeat. I'm running Windows 7 and service packs are deemed important, anyone ideas what is the matter and how I can resolve the installation problem?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

SP for Win 7 is that important? Win 8 just around the corner at the end of 2012 possibly? If it won't install just hide the update and leave well lone. I've just uninstalled it via safemode.

Like this post
The Brown Rock

Likes # 0

I'm sorry but I cannot locate Update Readiness tool - where do I find this?

Like this post
The Brown Rock

Likes # 0

Just saw your post rdave13 If not important I would be happy enough to hide it - not sure if it's good enough reason to jump to W8 though?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If your PC can't install the SP then don't worry. Possibly your AV or firewall won't allow it. If you really want to update to SP then disable AV and third party firewall if you have one.

Like this post
The Brown Rock

Likes # 0

No! I'm happy enough not to update and install Service Pack. Some of those I managed to install manually left me without my sound (Music Vocal)system, also installed Explorer 9. I was in a dreadful mess but luckily I found the answer just by chance in the July edition of PCAdvisor,(Roll Back Drivers p.102. I opted for System Restore that gave me back my sound and Explorer 8, all at the same time. I immediately hid a number of Windows Updates. I hope I have seen the last of these troubles? My thanks to everyone who responded.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

I'm sorry but I cannot locate Update Readiness tool - where do I find this?

For future reference it is available on the link posted above by I24

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite