We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP: Wireless rather than Local Area Connection

daconnor
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've got an old Toshiba Satellite P30 with XP Home on it. I've not used it much lately but to keep the wife away from my main machines I thought I'd give it a 'spring clean' and let her use it.

It's now got 2GB RAM with a clean install of XP thanks to the restore CD. Norton Internet Security was replaced by Microsoft Security Essentials and Office 2007 installed.

Rather than use the inbuilt 802.11g wireless adapter it's now got a Netgear Win51B 802.11n cardbus adapter to connect to a Netgear N300 Wireless ADSL2+ modem router. When it's next to the router a LAN cable can also provide connectivity.

What I can't understand is why when both means of connectivity are available it always uses wireless rather than the local area connection.

I've poked about and searched the web but found nowt. Any ideas please?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You could disable the one not in use in Device Manager to force it to connect to the other one

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It could be that you are using an n card rather than a G card

Like this post
daconnor

Likes # 0

Thank you I24, it certainly did help though I had to move the wireless connection to the bottom of the list before it worked.

Thanks also to woodchip for his contribution.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room