We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

what pc to buy on a budget?

gmckinley

Likes # 0

Hi all

I have decided to buy a new PC as my current one is quite old now.

My problem is I dont have a great budget (up to £200), and was looking at Ebay but there are so many options I don't know what to look for.

I mainly use my PC to browse the Internet and at the same time run Microsoft Excel. At the moment my PC is struggling to multitask so both are very slow whehn running together. I am looking to have both Excel and thInternet running to a fast standard.

I also download the odd thing, but nothing too much, so any PC wouldnt necesserily need to have the hardware required for large downloading.

I also dont really play games on my PC. Maybe Football Manager, but that is all, so top gaming graphic cards may not be necessary.

I am really looking for advice on what to look for in a PC for my needs. Ialso have a monitor so I would only be looking to purchase the box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Gemma

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Tell us what you have now.

£200.00 is a bit on the low side, even though you will not need to buy things such as a Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers (assuming that you already have them) or Software.

You may be able to, very simply, make your current PC more capable of handling your desires, for 50 quid or so.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

If you don't know what's inside your box, downlaod this Belarc Advisor and run it, it's Free, Safe and very useful.

Like this post
gmckinley

Likes # 0

Thanks for reply. I have used the Belarc Advisor like you recommended and it came up with the information below.

At present my PC is at times shutting down for no reason, and I am finding carrying out simple tasks like using excel slower than before. I was thinking of restoring to factory settins but have to back up my files first. Another problem was the front of the zzostorm base where the usb ports are has broken off and not sure whether a replacement could be bought.

Thanks Gemma

Operating System new – server roles
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 (build 6002) Install Language: English (United States) System Locale: English (United Kingdom) Installed: 04/04/2009 11:27:49

System Model Enclosure Type: Desktop

Processor a
2.20 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory cache 2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache 64-bit ready Multi-core (2 total) Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board b Board: Foxconn 45CMX/45GMX/45CMX-K Serial Number: UYRM74130301 Bus Clock: 200 megahertz BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 10/10/2007

Drives new – drive encryption
242.71 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity 92.81 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

DVDRW PATA 20X20X12X ATA Device [Optical drive] RIR J09M3KLQNG5A SCSI CdRom Device [Optical drive]

WDC WD2500AAJS-00VTA0 [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMART0329284, rev 01.01B01, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory Modules c,d 2038 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 1024 MB Slot 'A1' has 1024 MB

Controllers
IDE Channel [Controller] (3x) Intel(R) ICH7 Family Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0

Display Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family [Display adapter] Hannspree LM02 [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n 729NLM02A1612, July 2007)

Bus Adapters A5E42CHJ IDE Controller Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8 Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9 Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB Intel(R) N10/ICH7 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

What you have appears to be quite sufficient for what you say you are doing. It's certainly more modern that mine which does everything except playing the last 3 years Games.

£200.00 is not really going to get you anything better.

I have a little more RAM that you and a cheap Graphics Card, that is all. Visit Crucial and see how much it would cost to expand the RAM to above 3MB, remember that more RAM is better but all RAM operates at the speed of the slowest.

A £50.00 Graphics Card would help, but spending more than that would not really gain you anything appreciable.

Give it a clear out with CCleaner and a Defrag.

When you have £500.00 in the Piggy Bank think again, but unless you are set on playing "Cutting Edge" Games or boasting to your mates, I keep the bulk of the money in your pocket.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Fitting RAM and a Graphics Card.

Go to YouTube, there are lots of wee Clips there, showing you how to do it. That's how I learnt.

Like this post
gmckinley

Likes # 0

thanks for reply. i think i will just take your advice and try and clean the PC of unused files and try and add some RAM.

thanks again

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

As you have belarc on your system , have a look at the running tepmeratures and fan speeds.

It sounds as if your machine is getting hot and the processor speed has been cut down to prevent damage.

CPU temp should be between 32c and 40c, above that and the Hinksink may need cleaning

maotherboard should be about the same

CPU fan should be about 3200, anything less than 1000 means you have a problem, and the fan may need a drop of fine oil or replacing.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days