We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

desktop has lost

musiclady

Likes # 0

my cpu fan fell off, got a new one sorted, but now i cant find my sata hard drive or my dvd rom drive in device manager, pc running xp, device manager asnt picked them up, all the drivers are ok

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Not knowing exactly what happened when the "CPU fan fell off" it is hard to diagnose what may have happened within the PC. Added to that it is difficult not knowing what was done and by whom when the "new one" was "sorted". It would also help to know if the SATA drive that can't be found is a second internal drive and if the DVD drive is IDE or SATA.

I am presuming the C: drive is fully functional and you have no problems booting into XP and that you get no messages.

It is possible the connections for the two drives on the motherboard were disturbed/disconnected. I suggest the first thing to do is watch the screen on boot up if the BIOS information (the white script on a black screen before the XP loading bar) is visible and see if the two drives are shown - this would be under a heading such as 'IDE Drives' with a list showing hard drives and CD/DVD drives. If this screen is not visible you will need to go into BIOS (generally by pressing when you first switch on) and see if the drives are recognised there. If they are not present it is possible they are not connected properly to the motherboard or the leads are not correctly installed at the drives. To correct this you will need to gain access to the inside of the PC.

The link shows how to check the connectors are fitted correctly at both ends. You must ensure mains power is disconnected before starting the work and remember that if the PC has been running there will be hot components within it. link text

If you still have problems post back.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Do they show in: 1. rightclick 'My Computer' > Manage > Disk Management ?

1. And also are they listed when you rightclick 'My Computer' > explore ?
Like this post
musiclady

Likes # 0

says no array defined

Like this post
musiclady

Likes # 0

says no array defined

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If it cannot see the Hard Drive, then all She will get is Error Messages, NOT WINDOWS. You do not say how far it boots or when it stops, Have you been into the BIOS to see if the drives show?????

Try setting them to Auto in BIOS, You may need to reload SATA Drivers from a FLOPPY or USB pen drive

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

if you get message no array defined then it must be something to do with RAID ARRAY I would think.

Someone with more knowledge than me about RAID might be able to help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer