We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

free anti virus

firebirdb

Likes # 0

which is the best truly free "Anti-Virus" download

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

The names that are always metioned are Avira (my choice), AVG, AVAST and MSE. They all have their supporters and their critics. I suggest you try all of them and pick the one that you feel most comfortable with.

BTW, on the basis of using a 'layered defence', you might want to also consider installing the free Spyware Blaster, if you don't already use it. It uses a different mechanism to the most AVs (which results in virtually no footprint) since it primarily foccuses on spyware and is very regularly updated.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The 'best' is perhaps similar to 'how long is a piece of string'?.

But personally I have tried and tested most of the free anti programs, and Avast rings all the bells for doing what it states it will.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Really the best defence is an external USB drive and a recent System Image (not infected) stored on it.

Ordinary Windows Restore Points are often targeted by malware and Microsoft does a pretty good job of declaring them unsuccessful anyway.

How to make a System Image search

Like this post
firebirdb

Likes # 0

I said in my question "A truly free antivirus" all the ones you have suggested want money, and you usually have a "free" month trial, then they ask for money, and then if you dont pay switch off their protection !

Like this post
FatboySlim71

Likes # 0

firebirdb said:

'I said in my question "A truly free antivirus" all the ones you have suggested want money, and you usually have a "free" month trial, then they ask for money, and then if you dont pay switch off their protection'

Avira free version is truly free. Avira has two versions, one is the free version and the other is the Premium version which is this one (THIS ONE IS NOT FREE):

Avira Premium Version

With the free version of Avira, there are no free trial and then payment is required to continue. Again, Avira FREE VERSION is totally free : )

Here's the link to Avira free version. Just click on the download button in my below link for the FREE VERSION and you will get the free version of Avira. The only nag you get with the free version of Avira is a pop up window appearing, usually once a day, advertising the Premium version, which in my opinion is a small annoyance for having a top rank anti virus program for free.

Avira Free Version

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

firebirdb

Since when did Avast 'free to home users' ask for money, and the same might apply to other 'for home user' products?.

It might pay to read about the downloads,as to whether they are for the home user or for commercial use, before making the comment that you have made!.

If you want a commercial anti-virus program, then you will need to pay the price for it, unless you obtain voucher or special promotional codes for a particular product.

But as stated there are a number of more than adequate and well recommended anti-virus programs available for free.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

firebirdb

Just to emphasis what spuds said, Avira Free is totally free (you just get a once per day nag which is dismissed with a single click) permanently and so is MSE. I'm almost sure that AVG and AVAST have absolutely free versions, as well.

For sure, Avira, Avast and AVG have paid-for versions which add bells and whistles but the free versions provide excellent AV functionality, with regular updates.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Yes - ALL those programmes have free versions. Some have a paid for edition which have more facilities. I have always used the free without problem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Widespread 2011 MacBook Pro failures continue: Petition for fix surpasses 10,000 signatures