We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Parallels windows 7 transfer over network

Jwbjnwolf
Resolved

Likes # 0

Dear all,

I have an iMac upstairs in my room and we are planning on getting the mac mini connected to the TV in replacement of our dvd player and dell pc.

The dell pc came with windows 7 preinstalled.

We got it easter last year from BLI Education which lets you get a computer with educational software worth over 1/2 a grand free of charge unless it exceeds the price limit.

This Dell is good, but it is so slow with windows 7 on.

I have a good mind of wiping the computer clean and putting linux on but I do not want to lose half a grand of lovely educational software.

I have Parallels on my mac(trial) and would like to know how good the switch to mac edition is, as I have come across some comments on how it did not work well enough for them. Parallels is a fantastic piece of kit, but I want to know if that cable is really worth the extra money.

What are your recommendations on this subject?

Yours sincerely

Jwarn

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 1

Parallels Transporter lets you create a VM from the physical disk of another computer. You can use their USB cable, a firewire cable or over a network.

Click Here

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

Would it work if I hooked the Pc up to my mac directly via Ethernet?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 1

Not sure,the user guide does not suggest so, it would have to be a cross over cable.

It will certainly work if both computers were networked

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

Does remote desktop have to be enabled on windows to do transfer via network?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 1

This has nothing to do with remote desktop.

Follow the Parallels Transporter instructions in my link.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED