We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blue Screen problem?

eysha

Likes # 0

Hi, i was looking at a u-tube art demo and my laptop suddenly cut out saying there was a blue screen problem and it was shutting down to save the computer. I quickly hit the escape key and it told me the following information; Problem Even Name -- Blue Screen OS Version 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.2 Local ID 2957

Please can anyone explain this to me? Was i in danger of picking something nasty up? I have never seen this message before so i am curious. It did offer to do an online solution search but i cancelled that in case it was bogus again as my daughter has just had trojan problems and still cannot do a roll back as the accessories folder is still missing. We both use Vista. I will be interested inthe replies so many thanks in advacne. E.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Unfortunately the useful information about the crash comes after the Local ID 2957. Look at the first entry in this thread and you will see what I mean Click Here

BSOD's are more often than not caused by driver errors rather than nasties.

If it happens again try and get the entire error message.

Like this post
eysha

Likes # 0

Thanks, yes there was a lot more info in the message that i didn't get. Are you saying there is a part of my laptop that is in danger of dying so that i will need to replace it soon? If so is there anyway i can locate it before it goes as if i have to be without my laptop i will go mad, lol. I hate to be without my laptop so can i prevent this problem before it happens? Thanks again E.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

BSODs can appear quite randomly and not appear again. However, just in case, make sure you have a backup of anything that m,atters to you.

Like this post
eysha

Likes # 0

Thanks, so should i worry? If it does happen again will it affect my E drive or just the C drive? Is there no way to locate it? E.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

A BSOD more often than normally indicates an issue with hardware.

It could be a "mechanical" hardware problem but more likely a problem with the software that controls the hardware i.e. the driver.

As onthelimit1 has said make sure everything is backed up - something that all users should do as a matter of routine - and if and it is an if there is a problem then you are in a position to recover.

If the BSOD happend again get the entire message and we will have a much better chance of pinpointing the problem.

Like this post
eysha

Likes # 0

Thanks again, i will make sure i get the full message next time but i think i panicked, OK i know i did, lol. I do have disks for vista so i could get that back and i don't have anyhting on my C drive that would worry me if lost as i put everything on disk - I do artwork and take photos so they are all on disks. I was just worried in case it would be un-fixable if it happened again and was looking to see if the problem was presentable. Don't want to have to buy a new laptop and mine is only just over 2 years old but i know that says nothing really as faults can happen anytime. Thanks again. E.

Like this post
eysha

Likes # 0

I just got this and copied it all as instructed. What does i tell me? Thanks fo rthe help. E. Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: svchost.exe_iphlpsvc Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000 Application Timestamp: 47918b89 Fault Module Name: StackHash_6c8d Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000 Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a7a6 Exception Code: c0000374 Exception Offset: 000b015d OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3 Locale ID: 2057 Additional Information 1: 6c8d Additional Information 2: 002cf403ad3b8d1a971f419f67df09dc Additional Information 3: 8b7c Additional Information 4: 6b47b1be4f91ccf335fe41793dc49ba4

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

svchost issues are often related to malware so this may after all be related to the earlier issues you have had.

One solution is that you have said that you have all the Vista install disks and little to loose by doing a complete reinstall. This would once and for all ensure that the malware issues are put behind you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...