We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

dead laptop

bitemarx

Likes # 0

I accidentally spilled some coffee on my laptop (Acer Aspire 6930) keyboard. I immediately turned it over to let as much of the liquid spill out as possible, and after a while also used a hair drier on it (from a distance). However, it wouldnt power up afterwards. Took it to a local computer repairs shop who opened up the laptop and dried all the components in an "airing cabinet", but that didnt do the trick either. They informed me that the motherboard has died, possibly due to a short circuit, thus rendering the laptop useless. Ive looked for the montherboard on ebay and its about £120 to £150, which im willing to shell out if it means I can keep the laptop. But how do I know if thats all that has been damaged?

Thanks M

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Personal view - when it reaches that stage, I'd recover data from hard drive, and turn the laptop into a door stop. I'm reluctant to spend that sort of money on an old(ish) model with no guarantee that it would be fixed. If cash is tight, there are secondhand laptops available for the same as you'd spend on a mobo.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Agree

time to cut your losses

can you claim on insurance?

if not recover the hard drive, sell the screen / power adaptor / Cd drive etc on ebay and get another machine

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Give it two weeks in your airing cupboard and try again.

It takes ages to dry out sometimes.

HDD will be OK. CD/DVD may be gunged.

Of course it may be damaged/failed, but I have seen equipment from floods/rivers work again.

Like this post
bitemarx

Likes # 0

Thanks. I have already bought another laptop, but to be honest, I have a sentimental attachment to this one coz its packed with goodies! HDD has been backed up.

onthelimit1, correct me if im wrong but doesnt replacing the motherboard guarantee that it will be fixed??

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No shorted board may also have blown CPU and memory and keyboard contacts are probably corroded as well especiay if the coffee had sugar in it

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Buy an Enclosure on eBay and put it's old Hard Drive in it. Then you have an External Hard Drive for about £15.00 or so.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Enclosures Click Here

Like this post
bitemarx

Likes # 0

Thanks, thats really helpful. Are there any enclosure-type-things for the blu-ray drive in the laptop, so that I can use it as a blu-ray player?

M

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites