We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

+++ very slow start-up +++

pcdimwit
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have an acer laptop with windows XP media centre OS, it has become VERY VERY slow to start up and when the password log in page appears it just stays there when the password is entered (doesnt automatically load the windows etc.,) I have shut it down and restarted it and it shows a blue page saying that the C drive needs to be checked and starts to check it, then it will open but only VER VERY Slowly, I have done an anti-malwarebytes full scan and the registry CCleaner scan - I dont use this laptop often - but it is becoming a big problem, what do you think can be wrong? the taskbar doesnt show Microsoft security essentials that I am using but does show the Avast antivirus I am using. Cant imagine what can be causing this. Thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Wee Eddie! So does that mean I can delete those files on the D drive which were a back-up I made in March 2010 (its not bothering me but would free up space on that drive) Also lazarus 2nd, said to dowload Windows XP sevice pack 3 because the paint.net programme wont download unless i have SP 3 on windows XP, If I go to the homepage of Windows downloads it has a download for the ENTIRE service pack 3 but there is a small piece afterwards that says:-

DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update. The best way to ensure you get Windows XP Service Pack 3 is by turning on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP. You can use our step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.

I have done this and I still cant load paint.net, so should I download the first ENTIRE service pack download?? thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes, you best way of Backup is to buy Acronis true Image and create Images of the C:\ Drive to a External USB Drive. Turn off Restore on D:\ rive it of no use on D and sett System Restore on C:\ to 7% of the Partition

Like this post  
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

HURRAH!!! the Windows service pack 3 is now installed (it was hiding in an icon on the task bar below after I thought I had downloaded it) so now have service pack 3 on the windows XP media edition and have managed to download the Paint.net programme that I understand (I am PCDIMWIT after all!!) Will study what Woodchip says about the Acronis back up, but I did one once with, Paragon I think it was and when I went to find it, because it was a 30 day free trial (or something) the back-up that I made had "disappeared" and couldnt of course be used to make a restore, thanks PCDIMWIT - just another thing, I am getting an Acer flash ad. showing when I leave the computer unattended for about 10 mins, how can I stop this??

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Will it be the Acer Screensaver that is coming up after about 5 mins of the laptop being unused?? I have been into control panel and "add/removeprogs" then there are quite a few of the Acer progs. Acere-power management, performance management, e-setting management, Acer gridvista and then one called Acer Screensaver, do you think it is this screensaver that is coning in after the computer is static, and then goes on to play the advertising stuff, WITH a very annoying music background., should I uninstall this screensaver to stop this happening?? I dont know which one causes this flash/noisy ad to keep appearing, it didnt do it before but I cant find anywhere to disable it - what do you think?? thanks PCDMIWIT

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

How can I stop the Acer flash ad. appearing (with very annoying sound!!) when the computer has been unattended for about 5 mins, I went into control panel and "add/remove programmes" and there are alot of Acer progs. Would it be the "Acer screensaver" that I should remove?? I am not sure what they all do, but cant find a way to disable this flash ad. screen (with the sound) - there is no actual "close this ad" button on the screen, it just reverts to your last viewed page when you press any key. Its a bit of a pain as it keeps appearing since I did this system restore and re-installed windows. Thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes its the Acer screen saver

PC Decrapifier will rid your machine of all those annoying pre installed useless programs.

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat - Great, thanks for that, is it safe to use that decrapifier to delete all these annoying flash things? it wont affect the running of the computer? thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Run it and it will list what it thinks is not require its up to you to confirm what to delete.

Its a very good program.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Why not change the screensaver to Avast! and also change the time that it starts.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Souns like it needs a kick up the Junicker

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'