We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

+++ very slow start-up +++

pcdimwit
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have an acer laptop with windows XP media centre OS, it has become VERY VERY slow to start up and when the password log in page appears it just stays there when the password is entered (doesnt automatically load the windows etc.,) I have shut it down and restarted it and it shows a blue page saying that the C drive needs to be checked and starts to check it, then it will open but only VER VERY Slowly, I have done an anti-malwarebytes full scan and the registry CCleaner scan - I dont use this laptop often - but it is becoming a big problem, what do you think can be wrong? the taskbar doesnt show Microsoft security essentials that I am using but does show the Avast antivirus I am using. Cant imagine what can be causing this. Thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Memory - depending on exactly which Aspire you have it could have anything from 512Mb to 2G see here right click - My Computer - properties tab will show you how much memory -you can then set the virtual memory accordingly.

File structure - If its FAT then it needs converting

Start - Run - type msconfig - startup tab If you have 32 things in there it really will be slowing the machine down.

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Ben a while since I have gotten around to this, (the 8.7gb files on the D drive was backup I did last march and saved to D drive in case the C drive crahsed and I lost windows) ANYWAY I have just done a full restore from the Acer restore back up disks that I made when I got this laptop in 2006, It re-insalled windows to the state it was in when new in 2006! So am quite pleased it with it running at normal speed now, re-loading my pics and docs and small things, BUT on downlaoding progs that I lost on the restore, most have re-installed OK, VLC media player, Antimalwarebytes, DVD shrink etc., BUT I am having a BIG problem with trying to re-install the paint.net programme, it was OK before but now I am getting a messaage saying that it can only install on a Windows XP service pack 3 or higher computer, I think this one is Service pack 2, what should I do??? thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

You'll want this Windows XP Service Pack 3 then.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I noticed that you have said [Anti-Malwarebytes]Twice

Did you mean MalwareBytes if not remove Anti-Malwarebytes and install Malwarebytes.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

I must have made a mistake in the "wording" about Malwarebytes, it was from that Malwarebytes home page that I installed the programme, it actually shows as : " Malwarebytes' antimalware" on the programs list. Thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Also!!! as I ave determined that the file on D drive containing two folders with lots of kind of programme files in them are actually a back-up that I made in March 2010, is it safe to delete these now or is it best to just leave them there?? the folders show in properties as being only about 65mb but they do take up 8.7gb of space on the D drive, and would have been a "snapshot" of the restore/back-up from March 2010. Thanks PCDMIWIT. PS - I have installed Avast as the virus protection on this laptop as I couldnt get Microsoft security essentials programme to download, it kept showing a big red cross and said cannot install on this computer, so to be safe I just quickly installed AVAST to be safe, which one would you recommend? it was running Avast AND MSE before and someone advised to delete MSE and only use the one anti-virus programme.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Avast is good, back it up with Malwarebytes scan daily and you shouldn't have any problems.

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Right thanks, I'll keep the Avast running, still having problems trying to install paint.net it still keeps putting a window with "needs XP service pack 3...." despite my having been to the link sent by Lazarus the 2nd and (I thought) having downloaded the SP3 update, maybe I need to log off to make it work?? also the windows media player keeps coming in and playing an intro with music if I have left the computer for more than 4 or 5 mins. how can I stop this? thanks PCDWIT

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

If your D-Drive is a Partition of the main Hard Drive. Forget it as a backup. If the hard Drive crashes, they all go.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad