We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

+++ very slow start-up +++

pcdimwit
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have an acer laptop with windows XP media centre OS, it has become VERY VERY slow to start up and when the password log in page appears it just stays there when the password is entered (doesnt automatically load the windows etc.,) I have shut it down and restarted it and it shows a blue page saying that the C drive needs to be checked and starts to check it, then it will open but only VER VERY Slowly, I have done an anti-malwarebytes full scan and the registry CCleaner scan - I dont use this laptop often - but it is becoming a big problem, what do you think can be wrong? the taskbar doesnt show Microsoft security essentials that I am using but does show the Avast antivirus I am using. Cant imagine what can be causing this. Thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

C drive needs to be checked = hard drive failing

Microsoft security essentials that I am using but does show the Avast antivirus I am using.

*You cannot have two Antivirus programs running at the same time * they will conflict badly and this is what is probably slowing down your machine.

As it XP uninstall MSE and leave AVAST then see what happens.

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

OK thanks gonna do that and see what happens!! thanks, its weird because it isnt showing the MSI icon in the task bar below, but I know it is still there. Will let you know what happens........, PCDIMWIT

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Tired that and I must admit it DOES make a difference, the windows is loading much faster (only using Avast now) and there are icons showing on the task bar that didnt shwo before (printer and battery icon) but I have lost the Windows "melody" when I log off and on, how can I set that back again, I have opened sounds in control panel and added the windows default "beep" but the windows opening "melody" isnt playing, Thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Is you have set the sound scheme to windows default did you press OK you will also have to reboot for it to take effect.

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

have done that now and Yes, it does start up now with the "windows melody" BUT it is very disjointed and "wobbly" - I have just done a full antimalwarebytes scan and it came up clear on C & D drives, any idea's?? the laptop is about 6 years old and only has small files and photo folders on it, (not overloaded with stuff) thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Slow PC

1. Software

a) Clear out all temporary files and folders -- use CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :- Malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/ Superantispyware http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

Free Antivirus software MicroSoft Security Essentials http://www.microsoft.com/security/products/mse.aspx Avast http://www.avast.com/en-gb/free-antivirus-download

c) Clean the registry -- Use the tool in Crap Cleaner its very safe and also allows you to back up the registry first.

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Right click MY Computer - select properties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a different drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok. If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at start up -- Start - Run type msconfig - start up tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. http://www.blackviper.com/

1. Hardware

a) Hard drives /

i) IDE Channels: (Not required if you have SATA drives) Check the transfer rate, you need to have the transfer mode set to DMA not PIO. Right click My Computer - Properties - Hardware - Device Manager - Expand (click the + ) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers right click Primary Channel - Advanced Settings Tab - If transfer Mode is PIO then follow the instructions at http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=61905 to change.

ii) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

ii) If you are using Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

In fact, the only real reason for sticking with the FAT32 file system for any of your data is if you have more than one operating system on your PC and the other OS's can only see FAT32 partitions (as would be the case with Windows 98, for example, which is incapable of reading NTFS data).

To convert your drives to NTFS: Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage' From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.' Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information. Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd' To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs' So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

b) Drivers Obtain the newest drivers for your hardware This may seem a bit obvious, but keeping your system's drivers up to date can give both your performance and stability a boost. Video card manufacturers release updates especially often, and these can often give "significant boosts" to gaming performance as video card in question is "optimized."

Don't neglect the other components of your system either. Your motherboard manufacturer may have released newer versions of its Input/output drivers for your board, and sound cards and other peripherals can also benefit from newer software.

c) Memory Add more physical memory, this of course means opening the "box" and fitting a memory module, make sure you buy one that is suitable for your PC. Crucial .com http://www.crucial.com/uk/ will guide you through the process of selecting the correct memory. http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Desktops/8509270.pdf for a guide to fitting memory.

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

have done a. b. & c. I am using Avast as free antivirus. the virtual memory you refer to in d. comes up on my Acer aspire 5630 as virtual memory 1524 mb (havent altered this yet, what should I alter it to, should it be 2286??). I have checked start up progs. in Start - run + misconfig but I cant figure out what exactly I should leave on, Avast is showing as the virus scanner, but should I REALLY delete everything else, like yahoo msgr and adobe, things I use alot - will they still be "there"?? I'm afraid of doing something I cant recover, being a PC Dunce!! As to the Hardware section, I havent studied this properly yet, the bit about changing from FAT32 file system to this NTFS system worries me a bit, will things like transferring photo's and documents from the photo's and docs folders from the laptop to a USB stick still work OK?? and transfer OK onto someone else's or another computer if I change the file system to NTFS? I'm a bit frightened of all this.... thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

cant figure out what exactly I should leave on

list them and we'll tell you

should I REALLY delete everything else, like yahoo msgr and adobe

Yes because they are taking up precious resources, your not deleting them just stopping them running until you need them.

changing from FAT32 file system to this NTFS system worries me a bit

its probably already NTFS , My computer - right click on the drive - select properties - General TAb will tell you what file system is being used.

will things like transferring photo's and documents from the photo's and docs folders from the laptop to a USB stick still work OK?? and transfer OK onto someone else's or another computer if I change the file system to NTFS?

Yes it will - you should already have this sort of thing "backed up" do so before you attempt the change.

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

D Drive has 14 files in 2 folders and shows as 6.40 mb on the general tab of the drive. BUT when I click on the drive itself and look at properties it shows 8.70gb used and 44.9gb free. It is showing as FAT 32 file system

C drive is showing as FAT32 file system and has 38.7gb used and 14.2 gb free (its a 120gb Acer 5630 aspire)

This ia bit disjointed as I am typing this to the "notepad" so I can keep looking at the salient things you asked for, dont think all the characters will allow all this in one reply box so will send this now and look for the rest of the things from the previous question i.e. config in "run" prgramme to see exactly is running and what needs to be removed.... PCDIMWIT

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

In systeym config facility there are about 32 programmes running but how can I copy and paste them all so I can show you whcih ones are running?? they are too numerous to write down and difficult numbers and cijfers, If I highlight them all I cant "copy" them to wordpad thanks PCDIMWIT

D Drive looks very odd as the name of the 2 folders on it is: AMD64 and i386, they all both seem to contain programme files, as I say the total usage on the properties of this disk is 8.70 gb but only shows as 6./09mb on the one folder containing the subsequent ones. Very odd all this.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do