We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Monitor failure

kingussie

Likes # 0

My computer desktop monitor has just flickered and died. It is a Philips with a separate compaq computer. Is it the monitor or the video card in the computer. Can it be replaced if vid card ?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Check the simple things first

fuse in plug

do other things work in same power socket?

change the power lead to the monitor

check monitor lead connection at monitor and PC

try plugging in another monitor and or cable to eliminate PC / graphics card

Like this post
kingussie

Likes # 0

Pressing on off button on monitor brings it alive but not bright for one second then nothing

Like this post
kingussie

Likes # 0

Don't have monitor and reluctant to buy one then find it is the graphics card. BTW can I buy another card to help me get started until I buy a new computer as this compaq is very old ?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

looks like monitor failure but plugging in another monitor would prove it.

Last time I had that fault on an IBM screen - it went in the bin - stripped it down but never found the cause.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have a read here this is for an acer screen with same symptoms sounds like invertor boards.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Does your PC have a Graphics Card or is it using On-Board graphics?

To find out, look at the back, if the Monitor is plugged into to a Card, in one of those Slots, then switch everything off and move the connection to the Identical Socket in the area where all the MoBo Connections are.

If it is a Graphics Problem most Monitors display a Notice saying "No Signal" or something of that nature. So I think that, barring a simple solution, it has died.

You can buy yourself a lovely Monitor for about £120.00, all models will work with your PC so long as they have both Analogue & Digital Connections. You easily can spend more, or less, as your budget allows.

I got a lovely 24" Samsung that will do me for years, for £115.00, but it's currently running on my 6+ year old, Windows XP, Self (with professional assistance) Build PC. I keep meaning to buy a new PC, but this one does everything I need, so I will not replace it until something makes that necessary.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features