We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer laptop Updte from other post.

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

My earlier Post.link text

Now the update to that is My daughter took it back to Currys for repair under warranty but was told that it was probably a virus and they wanted £30 to fix it. Having it back I have tried sfc /scannow but it will only check 96% then Stops.

I then tried chkdsk and it stops at number 4 and goes no further.

Downloaded malwarebytes and Emisoft None will finish there scans without the computer freezing.

All those actions end up with the computer freezing.

Just trying another Emisoft scan and it has stopped again.

So not sure what to try.

Although I have now got it to start up in normal mode things are just not right.

Not sure if she was supposed to make back up discs on this or not.

I know she has one but I think that is for services.

Can you restore Acer laptops back to factory setting if so I can't seem to find out how.

She never got a W/7 64Bit disc with it.

1]: http://My earlier Post.[link text

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ignore those liks wrong ones sorry.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Restore to factory settings, try F8 on start up and I think it is at bottom of list.

Acer is one that prompt to make restore disc's when new.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4040949/urgent-help-to-fix-acer-espire-5334/#4041270

Thanks Strawballs I will have a look but I don't think she made any. I will not know till she comes back tomorrow.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Acer Recovery Instructions

1. Power on the machine
  2. At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the “Alt” key and press the “F10” key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery
  3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click “Restore to Factory Default Settings”
  4. Click “OK” to continue
  5. From here, the eRecovery process will update all the data on the C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image (approximately 10 minutes).
  6. Once eRecovery has run, press “OK” to reboot unit

How to access recovery drive? Acer Extensa 5620z ALT+F10 or ALT+F11. Make sure D2D is enabled in BIOS.

Like this post  
buteman

Likes # 0

Blinking thing.link text

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok thanks both will have a look in about 30 minutes for some reason the Emisoft scan has started up again so will wait and see if it finishes.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Hi buteman - On my Acer laptop you can access the factory default from within Windows. All programs find the folder called Acer and within that Acer e-recovery Management. Second tab is Restore and you`ll find the option there. Just did this myself over the weekend to prepare for the PCA Norton Beta test. Took me about 4 hours to get all the Windows updates and regular programs re-installed.

Make sure your data backup is OK first and don`t forget e-mails such as Outlook or Windows Mail!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Taff™.

I followed Fruit Bat /\0/\ instructions and it worked fine from there.

I tried the F8 from Strawballs but did not find it.

So my appologies all for not getting back to you sooner but basically just finished with the updates plus adding a few security programs.

Waste of time putting the security programs in I don't think she knows how to use them.

Taff I did not know that you could do it from there but I will remember if I have to do it again.

I was glad to get rid of it in the end up.I just can't get on with laptops.

She will have to figure out the e-mails herself.

She is really very quick using computers but not got a clue about security.

Thanks for the info it will come in handy in the future. And thanks to all others who's advice is always appreciated.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data