We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to change the Letter for My CD drive

julius44

Likes # 0

Hello and good morning to u all. I have a little problem, that may become a HUGE one, so i'm hoping for some help here pls. I've just purchased a new desktop, and everthing is nearly ok. I had itunes on my old pc, and ALL the music was stored on my external 1 tb hard drive that was recognized under my XP machiine as E: My new windows 7 machine has the DVD driveDVD RW) as E:, and I need to assign this to my external E: drive so that when itunes is looking for my music it'll get everthing back from the E drive......becos what is currently happening is that itunes CANNOT currently locate my music when I changed the external drive to letter N!!!!! I really need to get itunes to recognize drive and LOCATE all my musci please. Any help would be much appreciated.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Have a look here Change drive letter

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Does this help?

Use ITunes to get the files "Add Files to Library"

Scroll down to the bottom

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Better to Make the drive letter of your itunes external drive a letter way down the alphabet, this will stop it being affected if you plug in and out USB drives like other external drives, USB sticks, or cards into a card reader.

Then to make sure itunes always get your music from this drive:-

First make sure that the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" option is checked in iTunes Preferences:

1. Open iTunes.
  2. Choose Edit > Preferences.
  3. Click the Advanced tab in the Preferences window.
  4. Select the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" checkbox.

Keep iTunes Media folder organized checked

5. Click OK.

Once you've done that, follow the next set of steps to change your iTunes Media folder location to the new drive and then consolidate your library to the new location. This not only copies your audio and media files over, it also retains your ratings and playlists.

Note: If you move your library to an external drive, you'll need to power up and connect the drive before starting iTunes. If you don't, iTunes will prompt you to either locate the library or to create a new library (which will result in an empty library). No matter what, it's always a good idea to have a backup of the media you have in iTunes.

1. Open iTunes.
  2. From the Edit menu, choose Preferences.
  3. Click the Advanced tab in the Preferences window.
  4. Click the Change button in the iTunes Media folder location pane.
  5. In the Change Media Folder Location window that appears, navigate to the location where you would like your new Media folder to be created.

Navigate to the desired new Media folder location

Tip: In Windows Vista and Windows 7, click te triangles next to the folders and drives to navigate. In Windows Vista, the default location is: \username\Music\iTunes. In Windows 7, the default location is: \username\My Music\iTunes.

In Windows XP and Windows 2000, click the plus signs next to the folders and drives to navigate. The default location is \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes.

6. Click the Make New Folder button in the Change Media Folder Location window.

7. Enter the name of the new iTunes Media folder.
  8. Click OK in the Change Media Folder Location window.

To move music files to another folder

Click OK in the Advanced window. 9. For iTunes 9 and 10: Choose File > Library > Organize Library For iTunes 8: Choose File > Library > Consolidate Library For iTunes 7 or earlier: Choose Advanced > Consolidate Library. 10. A message will pop up. For iTunes 9 and 10: Place a check next to "Consolidate files" and click OK. Consolidate files checked

For iTunes 8 and earlier:
  Click Consolidate.
  Consolidate button

Important: This action copies all of your music and other media files to the new location. There must be enough hard disk space available to copy all of your files.
  1. After the folder has been copied, locate your original iTunes Media folder, and drag it to the Recycle Bin. Important: Don't remove the iTunes Library files that may be in the same location as the iTunes Media folder. For more information about the iTunes Library files, see What are the iTunes Library files?

2. Quit and reopen iTunes. If you receive the alert: "The folder containing "iTunes Library.itl" cannot be found and is required. Please create or choose an iTunes library," you most likely moved the iTunes Library files. If this is the case, move them out of the Recycle Bin and back to where they were. If you do not encounter the above alert when opening and closing iTunes, empty the Recycle Bin.

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 1

Hey folks, ALL sorted now, as i got someone on the ilounge forum to help me, i'm so happy, lol. Still not sure how to get a tick box to resolve posts on here now, i really miss the old set up, lol

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Put a tick in the grey column on the right - click resolved

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite