We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Installing operating system troubles

Newuser3605

Likes # 0

I've just bought a great barebones (no harddrive or op sys) quad core computer on Ebay and can't install windows xp pro from the cd/dvd player I have changed to cd first start up device in the BIOS menu but when it starts it goes straight to the 'Start Windows Normally' page. Have I missed something? Is there another way of booting from the cd/dvd player. Has the previous owner used a setting which stops something happening? Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks.

Al

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

If it has no hard drive it will not work, are you sure it has no hard drive? This really is barebones.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

Sounds to me like there is indeed a hard drive installed, 'Start Windows Normally' appears on Windows F8 advanced menu page, why not try one of them and see what happens. Double check your BIOS settings or hit the F key which brings up the boot menu, sometimes F8 or F12.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. enter Bios
    1. set CD drive as first boot device
    2. save and exit (F10)
    3. boot with XP cd in the drive and watch for the message "Press any key to boot from CD..."

If you do not get this message reboot go back into BIOS reset DC as first boot device and disable all other devices as boot devices save and exit and retr to boot from CD.

If this now works when you install XP you will need to reset the BIOS to boot from hard drive the first time windows setup reboots the PC (do not forget to remove the CD from the drive at this point.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

There must be a hard drive or you would only get bios as windows is only on hard drive.

Make sure the CD player is working and that it is plugged into the main board properly.

Like this post
Newuser3605

Likes # 0

Many thanks for the above. I should have said that I had fitted a hard drive. The computer recognises the cd player in BIOS. I will try Fruitbat's suggestion but I don't think it will run windows without the hard drive in place. I have installed op systems many times previously. This is the first time I have not received the message: Press any key to boot from CD. I messed around for hours yesterday, changing CD players, harddrives etc. I even installed a Floppy drive and that works ok as a first device when selected. Thanks again. Al

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Check drive cable is fully inserted at drive and at motherboard also try swapping drive power cable.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Newuser, have you previously had success using that Win XP CD? If you haven't and it's not an original Microsoft CD then it's possible that the CD you've got isn't bootable - this usually happens when someone makes a disk copy by simply copying across all the files and folders. When that happens the disk will have a all the files on it but it won't be able to start a PC.

If you're in doubt then try the CD in a different PC.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad