We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

screen problems

Trabman075

Likes # 0

Several days ago, my laptop, Acer Aspire 5920G, suddenly froze to show a black screen with some sort of pixel distortion, and I believe because of overheating. I decided on switching my laptop off and restarting it, but when it turned on I started seeing vertical lines all over my screen. The colours are disordered, and the screen had increased in resolution. My first reflexes were of course to change the resolution settings so that my screen would show a higher resolution, but after pressing 'apply' nothing changes. I equally found that i cannot put my computer on hibernate or sleep mode anymore...

These problems have all happened after this event, and I wonder if there are any solutions considering that the problem is very broad.

Thanks a lot in advance, Trabman

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I suspect it may not be good news. I seem to remember seeing various reports of graphics card failure/overheating on these on various forums.

link text

Seems the GPU may be replaceable on these, unusual for a notebook.

link text

Like this post
Trabman075

Likes # 0

damn, so it's a Graphics card problem then? In that case i'll try and replace it with a new one, thx for the clarification. +1 Trabman

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Worth plugging in an external monitor to check.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?